Preface to the second Edition.
Preface to the First Edition.
1. Foundations: Europe 1848-1878.
Part I: Revolutionary Europe 1848: .
2. France and Europe 1848.
3. The Hasburg Empire and the Revolutions of 1848.
4. German Unity and the Frankfurt Parliament.
5. Prussia and the Constitutional Cause of Germany in 1848.
6. Britain and Russia in 1848 and the Diplomacy of the Powers.
Part II: Authoritarian Europe: .
7. The Aftermath of the Revolution: France 1848-1851.
8. The Aftermath of Revolution: Austria, Prussia and 'Germany'.
9. The 1850s: The Authoritarian Decade in Austria and Prussia.
10. Napoleon III and the Authoritarian Decade of the Second Empire.
11. Great Britain: Cautious Reform in the Authoritarian Decade.
12. The Eastern Question Leads to War.
13. The Impact of the Crimean War on Europe.
Part III: Authoritarian Europe Transformed: .
14. The Unification of Italy.
15. Russia and the Reforms of Alexander II.
16. The Struggle for Supremacy in the German Confederation.
17. The Unification of Germany 1866-1871.
18. From The Authoritarian to the Liberal Empire in France 1860-1870.
19. 'Pax Britannia' at Home and Abroad.
20. The Franco-Prussian War.
21. The New Constellation of Power in Europe 1871-1878.
* Now covers Britain in the context of Europe.
* Examines all aspects of the period - local and international; social forces and the influence of individuals.