DescriptionReviews from previous editions:
"Excel for Chemists should be part of any academic library offering courses and programs in Chemistry."
"I highly recommend the book; treat yourself to it; assign it to a class; give it as a gift."
The newly revised step-by-step guide to using the scientific calculating power of Excel to perform a variety of chemical calculations
Chemists across all subdisciplines use Excel to record data in tabular form, but few have learned to take full advantage of the program. Featuring clear step-by-step instructions, Excel for Chemists illustrates how to use the scientific calculating power of Excel to perform a variety of chemical calculations.
Including a CD-ROM for Windows, this new edition provides chemists and students with a detailed guide to using the current versions of Excel (Excel 2007 and 2010) as well as Excel 2003.
Additional features in this third edition include:
- How to perform a variety of chemical calculations by creating advanced spreadsheet formulas or by using Excel’s built-in tools
- How to automate repetitive tasks by programming Excel’s Visual Basic for Applications
- New chapters show how to import data from other language versions of Excel, and how to create automatic procedures
- The accompanying CD contains a number of Excel macros to facilitate chemical calculations, including molecular weight, nonlinear regression statistics, and data interpolation
- Several appendices provide extensive lists of useful shortcut keys and function descriptions
Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: Excel for Chemists: A Comprehensive Guide, with CD-ROM, 3rd Edition
Excel for Scientists and Engineers: Numerical Methods (Paperback $81.95)
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
Before You Begin xxvii
PART I THE BASICS
Chapter 1 Working with Excel 2007 or Excel 2010 3
Chapter 2 Working with Excel 2003 79
Chapter 3 Excel Formulas and Functions 137
Chapter 4 Excel 2007/2010 Charts 177
Chapter 5 Excel 2003 Charts 209
PART II ADVANCED SPREADSHEET TOPICS
Chapter 6 Advanced Worksheet Formulas 233
Chapter 7 Array Formulas 267
Chapter 8 Advanced Charting Techniques 289
Chapter 9 Using Excel's Database Features 327
Chapter 10 Importing Data into Excel 349
Chapter 11 Adding Controls to a Spreadsheet 365
Chapter 12 Other Language Versions of Excel 385
PART III SPREADSHEET MATHEMATICS
Chapter 13 Mathematical Methods for Spreadsheet Calculations 403
Chapter 14 Linear Regression and Curve Fitting 435
Chapter 15 Nonlinear Regression Using the Solver 463
PART IV EXCEL'S VISUAL BASIC FOR APPLICATIONS
Chapter 16 Visual Basic for Applications: An Introduction 491
Chapter 17 Programming with VBA 503
Chapter 18 Working with Arrays in VBA 543
PART V SOME APPLICATIONS OF VBA
Chapter 19 Command Macros 557
Chapter 20 Custom Functions 571
Chapter 21 Automatic Procedures 589
Chapter 22 Custom Menus 595
Chapter 23 Custom Toolbars and Toolbuttons 607
PART VI APPENDICES
Appendix A What's Where in Excel 2007/2010 629
Appendix B Selected Worksheet Functions by Category 63 3
Appendix C Alphabetical List of Selected Worksheet Functions 639
Appendix D Renamed Functions in Excel 2010 661
Appendix E Selected Visual Basic Keywords by Category 663
Appendix F Alphabetical List of Selected Visual Basic Keywords 667
Appendix G Selected Excel 4 Macro Functions 689
Appendix H Shortcut Keys by Keystroke 693
Appendix I Selected Shortcut Keys by Category 703
Appendix J ASCII Codes 707
Appendix K Contents of the CD-ROM 709
- Coverage of the current versions of Excel (2007 and 2010), along with coverage of Excel 2003
“Finally this new edition, provides chemists and students a detailed guide and examples how to apply the current versions of Excel to their needs. It should be added to the shelves of those using this program within their scientific work.” (Materials and Corrosion, 1 November 2012)
- Covers the current versions of Excel (Excel 2007 and 2010), as well as Excel 2003 and many other new applications
- Illustrates how to perform a variety of chemical calculations, from creating advanced spreadsheet formulas to using Excel's built-in tools to creating advanced macros via Excel's Visual Basic
- Includes a CD-ROM for both Macintosh and Windows with many useful spreadsheet templates, macros, and other tools.
- Demonstrates step-by-step how to program Excel to perform appropriate tasks, automate repetitive data processing tasks, and prepare integrated documents by transferring data and graphics.
- Provides many shortcuts and tips on speeding, simplifying, and improving the use of Excel.
- Contains many illustrations and examples of chemical applications, including "How-to" boxes outlining details for accomplishing complex tasks in Excel.
- Explanations are clear and easily accessible, requiring little or no background in computer science.
- Designed to help students in chemistry understand thhe full capacity of Excel
- Logically ordered from basic to advanced applications