1. Introduction: Direct Education for Adult Learning Groups.
Part I: The Learning Group and the Individual.
2. The Role of the Individual and the Group in Direct Education.
3. Harnessing the Power of Intention.
4. Strengthening the Container: Subgroups Join the Mix.
5. The Secret Life of Groups.
Part II: Diversity, Difference, and Emotions in Group Learning.
6. Acknowledging Difference to Accelerate Learning.
7. Diversity and Conflict Styles.
8. Social Class and Diversity.
9. Authenticity, Emotion, and Learning.
Part III: Designing Learning Experiences.
10. Structures for Organizing the Content.
11. Building on What the Learners Know.
12. The Art of Timing in Adding New Knowledge.
13. Sequencing for Maximum Impact.
14. Accountability in Direct Education.
15. Emergent Design: Facilitating the Here and Now.
Part IV: Facilitation.
16. Setting the Tone and Building Safety.
17. Edgy Interventions to Accelerate Learning.
18. The Power of Framing.
19. Sensitivity in Cross-Cultural Issues.
20. The Drama of Transformational Work.
21. Conclusion: Bringing It All Together.
Appendix A: The Sustainable Educator: Advocacy, Modesty, and Diversity of Gifts.
Appendix B: The Sustainable Educator: Resilience and Revolution.
Appendix C: For Further Reading.
Appendix D: Tools and Resources for Direct Education.