DescriptionFiber Optic Essentials starts with a basic discussion on lightwaves and the phenomenon of refraction and reflection. It then goes on to introduces the reader to the field of fiber optics and covers some of the recent developments, such as fiber amplifiers, dispersion compensation and nonlinear effects. A number of other applications are also presented. Examples and comparison with everyday experience are provided wherever possible to help the reader's comprehension. Diagrams are also included to aid in the visualization of certain concepts.
Units and Abbreviations.
2. Light Waves.
3. Carrier Wave Communication.
4. Optical Users.
5. Loss in Optical Fibers.
6. Pulse Dispersion in Multimode Optical Fibers.
7. Pulse Dispersion in Single-Mode Optical Fibers.
8. Fiber Optic Communication Systems.
9. Erbium-Doped Fiber Amplifiers and Fiber Lasers.
10. Raman Fiber Amplifiers.
11. Fiber Bragg Gratings.
12. Fiber Optic Components.
13. Nonlinear Effects in Optical Fibers.
14. Optical Fiber Sensors.
References and Suggested Reading.