Presents a comprehensive overview of flexible and printed electronics, explaining the most up-to-date advances, predictions for the future of the technology, and its commercial applications
Information about this subject can be found across many different journals and other publications but to date there is no one book that covers all aspects of flexible and printed electronics. This book describes the technology, applications and market potential to a wide audience of engineers, researchers and business investors. It starts off by explaining the history and scientific background. The third chapter discusses materials including organic, inorganic, hybrid, semiconductor, light emitter, insulator, conductor, substrate, encapsulation, and connection. The book then outlines process technology such as printing techniques, encapsulation, and reproducibility. Flexible and printed electronics provide solutions for a wealth of applications, for example, in surveillance (passports and ID cards) and product identification (high value goods or pharmaceuticals). The next chapter presents these. Major contributors for performance progress are presented in Chapter Six. Most related companies conduct reviews into the technology but rarely get to see what their competitors are planning, so this chapter will be especially helpful to them. An outlook to the technology is given next, then a detailed look at the global market potential. Today’s technology and market leaders are examined later, and then the ecological aspects of flexible and printed electronics are looked at. Importantly, this book discusses the socio-psychological impact of flexible and printed electronics. The book concludes by outlining the impairing and enabling factors for business success.
- Presents a comprehensive overview of flexible and printed electronics, explaining the most up-to-date advances, predictions for the future of the technology, and its commercial applications
- The only book to date to provide the business aspects of the topic alongside an explanation of the technology
- Describes the history of these electronics as well as recent progresses made over the past five years
- Provides an explanation of the major physics, chemistry and electronics behind each technical solution
- Far-reaching applications cover areas such as displays, sensors and smart fabrics, and security
Essential reading for engineers working with flexible electronics; others in the semiconductor/electronics industry such as R&D staff, project managers, investors, CTO and CEOs, portfolio managers and marketing/sales executives; users and evaluators of the technology.