The sixth edition of Forages, Volume I, highlights plant adaptation and the complexity of forage management by integrating soil, climate, and herbivory factors with production goals.
This exceptional sourcebook has been extensively reconfigured to address the needs of today's undergraduate student and provide a foundation for problem solving and decision making in forage management. Sidebars and study questions will aid student review and comprehension. Forages teachers themselves, authors from across the continental United States provide broad, national coverage of key species and management practices in a framework of comparative analysis.
The Metric System.
PART I. CHARACTERISTICS OF FORAGE SPECIES.
1. Forages and Grasslands in a Changing World (Robert F. Barnes and C. Jerry Nelson).
2. Structure and Morphology of Grasses (Lowell E. Moser and C. Jerry Nelson).
3. Structure and Morphology of Legumes and Other Forbs (Robert B. Mitchell and C. Jerry Nelson).
4. Physiology of Forage Plants (Jennifer W. MacAdam and C. Jerry Nelson).
5. Environmental Aspects of Forage Management (Jeffrey J. Volenec and C. Jerry Nelson).
6. Grasses for Northern Areas (John A. Balasko and C. Jerry Nelson).
7. Grasses for Southern Areas (Darren D. Redfearn and C. Jerry Nelson).
8. Legumes for Northern Areas (Robert L. McGraw and C. Jerry Nelson).
9. Legumes for Southern Areas (Lynn E. Sollenberger and Michael Collins).
10. Forbs (Danny H. Smith and Michael Collins).
Compendium of Common Forages, Following (Kenneth J. Moore).
PART II. FORAGE MANAGEMENT.
11. Forage Establishment (Dennis R. Cosgrove and Michael Collins).
12. Forage Fertilization and Nutrient Management (David J. Barker and Michael Collins).
13. Integrated Pest Management in Forages (Gary W. Fick, William O. Lamp, and Michael Collins).
14. Naturalized Grassland Ecosystems and Their Management (Charles P. West and C. Jerry Nelson).
15. Forage Improvement and Seed Production (Darrell A. Miller and C. Jerry Nelson).
PART III. FORAGE UTILIZATION.
16. Forage Quality (Michael Collins and John O. Fritz).
17. Forage Utilization (Charles T. Dougherty and Michael Collins).
18. Forage-Related Animal Disorders (Michael Collins and David B. Hannaway).
19. Preservation of Forage as Hay and Silage (Michael Collins and Vance N. Owens).
20. Grazing Management Systems (Vivien G. Allen and Michael Collins).
Appendix: Common and Botanical Names of Forages.
* additional material on ecological and environmental factors
* greater emphasis on grassland ecology, pasture management, forage quality, forbs as components of grassland systems
* economic interpretations and social constraints to point out practicality
* an easy-reference full-colour appendix of forage species