This book presents real-world examples of formal techniques in an industrial context. It covers formal methods such as SCADE and/or the B Method, in various fields such as railways, aeronautics, and the automotive industry. The purpose of this book is to present a summary of experience on the use of “formal methods” (based on formal techniques such as proof, abstract interpretation and model-checking) in industrial examples of complex systems, based on the experience of people currently involved in the creation and assessment of safety critical system software. The involvement of people from within the industry allows the authors to avoid the usual confidentiality problems which can arise and thus enables them to supply new useful information (photos, architecture plans, real examples, etc.).
The authors cover the following topics: an example of use of SCADE, constraint solving in B, validation of Petri Nets-based automated rail safety, data validation, etc.
1. Presentation of the B Method, Jean-Louis Boulanger.
2. Atelier B, Thierry Lecomte.
3. B Tools, Jean-Louis Boulanger.
4. The B Method at Siemens, Daniel Dolle.
5. Industrial Applications for Modeling with the B Method, Thierry Lecomte.
6. Formalization of Digital Circuits Using the B Method, Jean-Louis Boulanger.
7. Pragmatic Use of B: The Power of Formal Methods without the Bulk, Christophe Metayer, François Bustany, Mathieu Clabaut.
8. BRILLANT/BCaml—AFreeTools Platform for the B Method, Samuel Colin, Dorian Petit.
9. Translating B and Event-B Machines to Java and JML, Néstor Catano, Víctor Rivera, Camilo Rueday and Tim Wahlsz.
10. Event B, Dominique Méry, Neeraj Kumar Singh.
11. B-RAIL: UML to B Transformation in Modeling a Level Crossing, Jean-Louis Boulanger.
12. Feasibility of the Use of Formal Methods for Manufacturing Systems, Pascal Lamy, Philippe Charpentier, Jean-François Petinand Dominique Evrot.
13. B Extended to Floating-Point Numbers: Is It Sufficient for Proving Avionics Software?, Jean-Louis Dufour.
14. From Animation to Data Validation: The ProB Constraint Solver 10 Years On, Michael Leuschel, Jens Bendisposto,Ivo Dobrikov, Sebastian Krings, Daniel Plagge.
15. Unified Train Driving Policy, Alexei Iliasov,Ilya Lopatkin, Alexander Romanovsky.