Part I: Introduction:.
1. Global Adjustment.
2. Food Riots Past and Present.
Part II: Case Studies:.
3. Fighting for Survival: Women's Responses to Austerity Programs.
4. Latin America: Popular Protest and the State.
5. Economic Adjustment and Democratization in Africa.
6. The Middle East and North Africa.
7. The Asian Debt Crisis: Structural Adjustment and Popular Protest in India.
8. Explaining Sri Lanka's Exceptionalism: Popular Responses to Welfarism and the 'Open Economy'.
9. The Politics of Economic Reform in Central and Eastern Europe.
Part III: Conclusion:.
10. Debt Crisis and Democratic Transition.