1. The International Frontier in Historical and Theoretical Perspective.
2. Self-Determination, Secession and Autonomy: European Cases of Boundary-Drawing.
3. Themes in African and Asian Frontier Disputes.
4. Boundaries within States: Size, Democracy and Service Provision.
5. Frontiers and Migration.
6. Uninhabited Zones and International Cooperation.
Conclusion: The European Union and the Future of Frontiers.
"Lucid survey ... Anderson has surveyed the major issues to do with state frontiers in the modern world. The book provides an excellent introduction to various special interests in frontiers." Democratization
* Gives global coverage of issues and territorial disputes.
* Is of particular interest to those concerned with the development of regional integration, especially the European Union.
* Provides a guide to the challenges of sovereign control of frontiers by new technologies and by movement of people.