DescriptionBuilding on the success of the first edition Fuel Cell Systems Explained presents a balanced introduction to this growing area.
"In summary, an altogether satisfying book that puts within its covers the academic tools necessary for explaining fuel cell systems on a multidisciplinary basis." Power Engineering Journal
"An excellent book….well written and produced." Journal of Power and Energy
Fully revised and updated, the second edition:
- Provides an essential guide to the principles, design and application of fuel cell systems.
- Includes full and updated coverage of fuel processing and hydrogen generation and storage systems.
- Presents a full and clear explanation of the operation of all the major fuel cell types, and an introduction to possible future technology, such as biological fuel cells
- Features a new chapter on the direct methanol fuel cell.
- Now includes examples of the modelling, design and engineering of real fuel cell systems.
- A clear overview of fuel cell operation and thermodynamics
- Coverage of the complete fuel cell system including compressors, turbines, and the electrical and electronic sub-systems such as regulators, inverters, grid inter-ties, electric motors, and hybrid fuel cell/battery systems.
Foreword to the first edition.
Efficiency and Open Circuit Voltage.
Operational Fuel Cell Voltages.
Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells.
Alkaline Electrolyte Fuel Cells.
Direct Methanol Fuel Cells.
Medium and High Temperature Fuel Cells.
Fuelling Fuel Cells.
Compressors, Turbines, Ejectors, Fans, Blowers, and Pumps.
Delivering Fuel Cell Power.
Fuel Cell Systems Analysed.
Appendix 1: Change in Molar Gibbs Free Energy Calculations.
Appendix 2: Useful Fuel Cell Equations.