Part One: Irreconcilable expectations.
1. Setting the stage.
2. British expectations at the Cape.
3. Expectations on the Eastern Frontier.
4. The parting of the ways.
5. The Transvaal unsettled.
Part Two: Open borders across the Vaal.
6. Foundation and colonization.
7. Gold to the rescue?
8. From flawed to failed.
9. Britain to the rescue.
Part Three: Gold — the mixed blessing.
10. Economics, the gold standard and British policy in South Africa.
11. Wars, concessions and a short boom.
12. Opening Pandora’s box — mining the gold.
13. The challenge to mining.
Part Four: Intrigue and confrontation.
14. Afrikaner nationalism and railway politics.
15. A tale of two cities.
16. The conspiracy and the raid.
17. Power politics.
18. A short war — a long battle.