DescriptionCancer is a leading cause of death among adults but research shows that the chances of developing cancer can be reduced by lifestyle changes. Increasing numbers of people use dietary vegetables, medicinal herbs, and plant extracts to prevent or treat cancer. Their availability as "over the counter" supplements has contributed to an explosion in the use of herbal extracts and related compounds for health enhancement.
This vital resource brings together the worlds leading experts’ research, their conclusions and recommendations on functional foods and nutraceuticals in the prevention and treatment of cancer. Research professionals, academics, hospital-based dietitians, nutritionists, oncology physicians, cancer researchers, marketers and food and drug officials are just a few of the key people who need this book.
Part I. Approaches to Cancer Prevention: Role of Nutrition.
1. Antioxidents as Cancer Therapies.
2. Cancer and Nutrition.
3. Vitimin E in Cancer Prevention and Treatment.
4. Chemical Versus Food Forms of Selenium in Cancer Prevention.
5. Nutients to Stimulate Cellular Immunity: Role in cancer Prevention and Therepy.
6. Nutrition and Skin Cancer Risk Prevention.
7. Nutritional Startegies for the Prevention of Cervical Cancer.
Part II. Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs in Cancer Prevention.
8. Tomato and Cancer.
9. The Role of Dietary Fiber in Colon cancer Prevention.
10. Soy Food and Breast cancer.
11. Prevention and Therepeutic Effects of Dietary Phytochemicals on Cancer Development.
12. Phytomedicines and Cancer Prevention.
13. Phytoesrogens and Cancer.
14. Herbals and Cancer Prevention.
15. Cruciferous Vegetables and Cancer Prevention.
16. Breast Cancer Prevention.
* discusses the benefits and uses of extracts or complex mixtures of vegetables and herbs
* aims to educate the public and change their dietary behaviour
* includes specialized diets focused on components of fruits and vegetables such as dietary fibre or phytoestrogens