Fundamental Molecular Biology
Fundamental Molecular Biology
DescriptionThe author received the 2009 Outstanding Faculty Award, the Commonwealth of Virginia's highest honor for faculty, in January 2009.
More accessible to beginning students in the field than its encyclopedic counterparts, Fundamental Molecular Biology provides a distillation of the essential concepts of molecular biology, and is supported by current examples, experimental evidence, an outstanding art program, multimedia support and a solid pedagogical framework. The text has been praised both for its balanced and solid coverage of traditional topics, and for its broad coverage of RNA structure and function, epigenetics and medical molecular biology.
- Focuses primarily on eukaryotic examples but includes key comparisons with prokaryotic organisms where it is appropriate
- Includes all-original artwork providing the clearest possible insight into complex concepts. All artwork is available online and on CD-ROM
- Supplemented by outstanding student and instructor media resources including a CD-ROM that comes with every book and an interactive website at www.blackwellpublishing.com/allison featuring all artwork, animations of key processes, and useful student comprehension material
- Pedagogical boxes throughout explain additional concepts and topics in molecular biology:
-TOOLS BOXES explore key experimental methods and techniques in molecular biology
-FOCUS BOXES offer more detailed treatment of topics and delve into experimental strategies, historical background and areas for further exploration
-DISEASE BOXES illustrate key principles of molecular biology by examining diseases that result from gene defects
Visit www.blackwellpublishing.com/allison to access helpful student and instructor resources online.
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
1. The Beginnings of Molecular Biology.
2. The Structure of DNA.
3. Genome Organization: From Nucleotides to Chromatin.
4. The Versatility of RNA.
5. From Gene to Protein.
6. DNA Replication and Telomere Maintenance.
7. DNA Repair and Recombination.
8. Recombinant DNA Technology and Molecular Cloning.
9. Tools for Analyzing Gene Expression.
10. Transcription in Prokaryotes.
11. Transcription in Eukaryotes.
12. Epigenetics and Monoallelic Gene Expression.
13. RNA Processing and Post-Transcriptional Gene Regulation.
14. The Mechanism of Translation.
15. Genetically Modified Organisms: Use in Basic and Applied Research.
16. Genome Analysis: DNA Typing, Genomics, and Beyond.
17. Medical Molecular Biology.
- Distills the essential concepts of molecular biology in a clear and engaging style.
- Includes current examples, experimental evidence, Disease boxes, Tool boxes and Focus boxes.
- Relies primarily on eukaryotic examples but includes key comparisons with prokaryotic organisms where it is appropriate.
- Features all-original, full color artwork, a student tutorial CD-ROM, and an interactive website featuring all artwork, animations of key processes, and useful student comprehension material.