Fundamentals of Cellular Network Planning and Optimisation: 2G/2.5G/3G... Evolution to 4G
Description“By 2008, some 2 billion people will be using mobile phones and devices, in many cases to access advanced data services. Against this backdrop, the need for efficient and effective network design will be critical to the success of increasingly complex mobile networks.”
Simon Beresford-Wylie (SVP, Nokia Networks)
With the complexity of the cellular networks increasing day by day, a deeper understanding of the design and performance of end-to-end cellular networks is required. Moreover, all the types of networks from 2G-2.5G-3G seem to co-exist. Fundamentals of Cellular Network Planning and Optimisation covers end-to-end network planning and optimisation aspects from second generation GSM to third generation WCDMA networks including GPRS and EDGE networks. All the sub-systems of the network i.e. radio network, transmission network and core network have been covered with focus on both practical and theoretical issues. By bringing all these concepts under one cover, this book becomes essential reading for the network design engineers working either with cellular service vendors or operators, experts/scientists working on end-to-end issues and undergraduate/post-graduate students.
- Distinctly divided into four parts: 2G (GSM), 2.5G (GPRS & EDGE), 3G (WCDMA) and introduction to 4G (OFDM, ALL-IP, WLAN Overview) respectively
- Each part focuses on the radio, transmission and core networks.
- Concentrates on cellular network planning process and explains the underlying principles behind the planning and optimizing of the cellular networks.
The text will serve as a handbook for anyone engaged in the study, design, deployment and business of cellular networks.
1. Overview of Mobile Networks.
PART I: SECOND-GENERATION NETWORK PLANNING AND OPTIMISATION (GSM).
2. Radio Network Planning and Optimisation.
3.Transmission Network Planning and Optimisation.
4.Core Network Planning and Optimisation.
PART II: 2.5-GENERATION NETWORK PLANNING AND OPTIMISATION (GPRS AND EDGE).
5. GPRS: Network Planning and Optimisation.
6. EDGE: Network Planning and Optimisation.
PART III: THIRD-GENERATION NETWORK PLANNING AND OPTIMISATION (WCDMA).
7. 3G Radio Network Planning and Optimisation.
8. 3G Transmission Network Planning and Optimisation.
9. 3G Core Network Planning and Optimisation.
PART IV: FOURTH-GENERATION NETWORK PLANNING (OFDM/ALL-IP/WLAN).
10. 4G Network Planning.
A. Integrated Network Planning Tool: Nokia NetAct Planner by Ari Niininen .
B. MMS Network Planning by Christophe Landemaine.
C. Location-based Services by Johanna Kahkonen.
D. End-to-End System performance Measurement by N.B. Kamat.
E. Erlang B Tables by Nezha Larhissi.