Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics sets the standard for teaching students how to be effective problem solvers. Integrated throughout this product are real-world applications that emphasize the relevance of thermodynamic principles to some of the most critical problems and issues of today. These include a wealth of coverage on topics related to energy and the environment, biomedical/bioengineering, and emerging technologies.
Chapter 1 Getting Started: Introductory Concepts and Definitions
Chapter 2 Energy and the First Law of Thermodynamics
Chapter 3 Evaluating Properties
Chapter 4 Control Volume Analysis Using Energy
Chapter 5 The Second Law of Thermodynamics
Chapter 6 Using Entropy
Chapter 7 Exergy Analysis
Chapter 8 Vapor Power Systems
Chapter 9 Gas Power Systems
Chapter 10 Refrigeration and Heat Pump Systems
Chapter 11 Thermodynamic Relations
Chapter 12 Ideal Gas Mixture and Psychrometric Applications
Chapter 13 Reacting Mixtures and Combustion
Chapter 14 Chemical and Phase Equilibrium
- The new WileyPLUS course includes approximately 600 algorithmically-randomized problems, which allow instructors to assign homework problems that display different values to each student.
- The WileyPLUS course also includes a variety of Student Practice modules, including hundreds of problems where students can solve the problem and then check their own work against the official solution. A wide variety of Check Your Understanding questions help students test their knowledge of concepts.
- Interior Design Update: A crisp new interior design has been implemented to help students better understand the subject matter and better appreciate the relevance of engineering in society.
- An updated introductory roadmap to the course’s core features. Key aspects of fundamentals and applications within the course have been enhanced.
- Interactive Thermodynamics: IT software is available as a stand-alone product or with the course. IT is a highly valuable learning tool that allows students to develop engineering models, perform “what-if” analyses, and examine principles in more detail to enhance their learning. Brief tutorials of IT are included within the course and the use of IT is illustrated within selected solved examples. Skillful use of tables and property diagrams is prerequisite for the effective use of software to retrieve thermodynamic property data. The latest version of IT provides data for CO2 (R-744) and R-410A, using as its source Mini REFPROP by permission of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
- Video Examples: The course includes approximately 45 video examples that walk students step-by-step through example problems, including helpful hints about common mistakes, problem-solving method tradeoffs, etc.
- Check Your Understanding Questions: The course includes approximately 700 Check Your Understanding questions.
- Student Practice Modules
- Approximately 100 “Check Your Understanding” questions
- Approximately 100 automatically-graded problems providing student with the ability to check their work against official step-by-step solutions (text or video format)
- QuickStart Assignments: Each course section include “QuickStart Assignments” that make course set-up a snap.