DescriptionThe number one text in its field, Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics is respected by professors and students alike for its comprehensive topical coverage, its varied examples and homework problems, its application of the visual component of fluid mechanics, and its strong focus on learning. The authors have designed their presentation to allow for the gradual development of student confidence in problem solving. Each important concept is introduced in simple and easy-to-understand terms before more complicated examples are discussed.
Continuing this book's tradition of extensive real-world applications, the new 6th edition includes more Fluids in the News case study boxes in each chapter, new problem types, an increased number of real-world photos, and additional videos to augment the text material and help generate student interest in the topic. Example problems have also been updated and numerous new photographs, figures, and graphs have been added.
In addition, there are 150 videos designed to aid and enhance student comprehension, support visualization skill building and engage students more deeply with the material and concepts. These videos are noted in the text at appropriate locations and include relevant descriptions of the material. These visual aids can be a significant asset to aiding the student's learning of the core concepts in fluid mechanics. Approximately 70 of the 150 videos are NEW to this edition.
2. Fluid Statics
3. Elementary Fluid Dynamics -- The Bernoulli Equation
4. Fluid Kinematics
5. Finite Control Volume Analysis
6. Differential Analysis of Fluid Flow
7. Dimensional Analysis, Similitude, and Modeling
8. Viscous Flow in Pipes
9. Flow Over Immersed Bodies
10. Open-Channel Flow
11. Compressible Flow
Appendix A: Computational Fluid Dynamics and Flowlab
Appendix B: Physical Properties of Fluids
Appendix C: Properties of the U.S. Standard Atmosphere
Appendix D: Compressible Flow Data for an Ideal Gas
Appendix E: Comprehensive Table of Conversion Factors
Additional appendixes are available on the book companion site.
- Illustrations: More than 200 new illustrations and graphs. These range from illustrations of a basic concept or equation to more complex images that illustrate the practical applications of fluid mechanics.
- Extensive and expanded real-world applications: This edition includes more Fluids in the News case study boxes in each chapter, new problem types, an increased number of real-world photos, and additional videos to augment the text material in order to help generate student interest in topics.
- 150 videos (70 of which are brand new to this edition): These web-based clips are designed to aid and enhance student comprehension, support visualization skills and engage students more deeply with the material and concepts.
- Expanded support for visualization: Included in the text are approximately 270 new illustrations and 270 new photographs.
- New problem types: Problems range from less difficult to more challenging in order to enable students to build their understanding of concepts.
- VISUALIZATION: As with previous editions, videos, illustrations, and photos illustrate fluid mechanics concepts and real-world practice.
- TRUE-TO-PRACTICE EXAMPLES: Student-oriented Fluids in the News case study boxes in each chapter - many with associated homework problems - include 60 short news briefs illustrating current, and important ways in which fluid mechanics effect the world around us.
- EXAMPLES: More than 150 worked example problems provide detailed solutions, with many being extended to illustrate the effects of changing parameter values.
- PROBLEMS/EXERCISES: 30% of more than 1300 homework problems are new for this edition, including new Life-Long Learning problems that require obtaining additional information through research about new topics.
- COMPUTER-ASSISTED PROBLEMS: Examples of which include simple CFD problems that can be solved using FlowLab®, and Excel®-based lab problems. Domestic adopters may request free access to run FlowLab®.
- WILEYPLUS: Wiley's dynamic, online learning environment designed to build success through student confidence includes algorithmic, Guided Online (GO) Tutorial and multi-step problems, and problems designed to evaluate and reinforce conceptual understanding. WileyPLUS includes 150 videos and the complete e-Book version of textbook.