Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: An Integrated Approach, 5th Edition
DescriptionFundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering takes an integrated approach to the sequence of topics – one specific structure, characteristic, or property type is covered in turn for all three basic material types: metals, ceramics, and polymeric materials. This presentation permits the early introduction of non-metals and supports the engineer's role in choosing materials based upon their characteristics. Using clear, concise terminology that is familiar to students, Fundamentals presents material at an appropriate level for both student comprehension and instructors who may not have a materials background.
- Atomic Structure and Interatomic Bonding
- Structures of Metals and Ceramics
- Polymer Structures
- Imperfections in Solids
- Mechanical Properties
- Deformation and Strengthening Mechanisms
- Phase Diagrams
- Phase Transformations
- Electrical Properties
- Types and Applications of Materials
- Synthesis, Fabrication, and Processing of Materials
- Corrosion and Degradation of Materials
- Thermal Properties
- Magnetic Properties
- Optical Properties
- Economic, Environmental, and Societal Issues in Materials Science and Engineering
Appendix A. The International System of Units (SI)
Appendix B. Properties of Selected Engineering Materials
Appendix C. Costs and Relative Costs for Selected Engineering Materials
Appendix D. Repeat Unit Structures for Common Polymers
Appendix E: Glass Transition and Melting Temperatures for Common Polymeric Materials
New resources designed to support a more engaging Learning Experience and more meaningful Learning Outcomes:
- VMSE (Virtual Materials Science & Engineering), with a new interface, helps students visualize concepts related to crystal structures, diffusion tensile tests, and more. For example, it allows students to rotate unit cells in 3-d to better understand molecular structures. Also includes a Database of Engineering Materials Properties that can be used for materials selection problems.
- Questions about VMS: Questions that students need to use VMSE to answer help students get best value from its use, and instructors incentivize its use.
- Video Tutorials - “muddy point” videos feature a student explaining tough concepts that have been identified through research as the most
Topics and concepts are treated in sufficient detail to the extent that students have the opportunity to fully understand it without having to consult other sources.
The “Why Study?” element at the opening of each chapter highlights important applications of materials science engineering.
The Virtual Materials Science and Engineering (VMSE) animations facilitate student visualization of molecular structures and the learning of key concepts.
Concept Check questions enable students to self-assess their understanding of basic concepts.
Appendices that list property and price for a large number of materials enable the student to solve a number of materials selection problems that are presented in the book.