Fundamentals of Risk and Insurance, 11th Edition presents a thorough and comprehensive introduction to the field of insurance while emphasizing the consumer. It summarizes the nature of pure risk on the individual and on society, and illustrates the way in which insurance can be used to deal with the problems posed by such risk.
The 11th edition first examines the concept of risk, the nature of the insurance device, and the principles of risk management. It then discusses the traditional fields of life and health insurance as solutions to the risks connected with the loss of income. The final section deals with the risks associated with the ownership of property and legal liability.
Chapter 2 Introduction to Risk Management 12
Chapter 3 The Insurance Device 34
Chapter 4 Risk Management Applications 54
Chapter 5 The Private Insurance Industry 71
Chapter 6 Regulation of the Insurance Industry 95
Chapter 7 Functions of Insurers 128
Chapter 8 Financial Aspects of Insurer Operations 144
Chapter 9 The Legal Framework 163
Chapter 10 Managing Personal Risks 181
Chapter 11 Social Insurance Programs 204
Chapter 12 Introduction to Life Insurance 224
Chapter 13 The Actuarial Basis of Life Insurance 240
Chapter 14 The Life Insurance Contract—General Provisions 253
Chapter 15 The Life Insurance Contract—Other Provisions 264
Chapter 16 Special Life Insurance Forms 279
Chapter 17 Buying Life Insurance 289
Chapter 18 Annuities and Pension Benefits 307
Chapter 19 Managing the Retirement Risk 333
Chapter 20 Health Insurance: Disability Income Insurance 348
Chapter 21 Health Insurance: Coverage for Medical Expenses 365
Chapter 22 Health Insurance for the Elderly 388
Chapter 23 Employee Benefits and Other Business Uses of Life and Health Insurance 412
Chapter 24 The Homeowners Policy—General Provisions 432
Chapter 25 The Homeowners Policy Forms 448
Chapter 26 Other Personal Forms of Property Insurance 462
Chapter 27 Negligence and Legal Liability 480
Chapter 28 General Liability Insurance for the Individual 494
Chapter 29 The Automobile and its Legal Environment 512
Chapter 30 The Personal Auto Policy 529
Chapter 31 Commercial Property Insurance 552
Chapter 32 Commercial Liability Insurance 582
Chapter 33 Surety Bonds, Trade Credit, and Financial Guaranty Insurance 609
Chapter 34 Insurance in the Future (Online) 620
- Updated to reflect new policy forms, including ISO’s 2010 Commercial Auto Policy, 2011 Homeowners Policy, 2012 Commercial Property Policy, 2013 Commercial Liability Policy, recent laws affecting health insurance and Medicare, changes in regulation stemming from the financial crisis.
- Sample policy forms will be posted on the book companion site found here: www.wiley.com/college/vaughan
- Chapter 34, Insurance in the Future, to be published on the book companion site.
- Integrates principles of risk management and insurance buying throughout the discussion of insurance coverage.
- Provides a thorough and comprehensive introduction to the field of insurance.
- The 11th edition of the text marks the 41st anniversary of the first edition, and while the purpose, organization and approach of the book remain the same, content and material have adapted with the changing field of risk management and insurance.