The comprehensive guide to furniture design expanded and updated
Furniture designers draw on a range of knowledge and disciplines to create their work. From history to theory to technology, Furniture Design offers a comprehensive survey of the essential craft- and practice-related aspects of furniture design.
Generously illustrated with photographs and drawingsincluding a new color sectionthis Second Edition features updated coverage of material specifications, green design, digital design, and fabrication technologies. It also features twenty-five case studies of furniture design that represent a broad selection of works, designers, and techniques, including recent designs produced within the last decade.
The book explores:
- Furniture function and social use
- Form, spatial organization, and typological orders
- Structural integrity and composition
- Accessibility, universal design, human factors, and ergonomics
- The design process, from schematics through fabrication
- Materials, processes, and methods of fabrication
- Professional practice and marketing
- The history of furniture design, from prehistory to the digital age
Complete with a glossary of terms and a comprehensive bibliography, Furniture Design, Second Edition is a one-stop resource that furniture designers will turn to regularly for the advice, guidance, and information needed to perform their craft.
Chapter 1. Introduction to Furniture Design
Chapter 2. Function and Social Use
Chapter 3. Form, Spatial Organizations, and Typological Orders
Chapter 4. Furniture Case Studies
Chapter 5. Furniture Design Theory
Chapter 6. Design
Chapter 7. Materials
Chapter 8. Processes and Methods of Fabrication
Chapter 9. Professional Practice and Marketing
Chapter 10. Historical Overview