Recombinant DNA Technology.
From Recombinant DNA To Molecular Medicine.
The Impact Of Genomics On Medicine.
The New Molecular Medicine.
Outline Of This Book.
Chapter Two: An Overview Of Genomics.
A Review Of Progress: The Human Genome Project.
The Future: Functional Genomics.
Chapter Three: Genomics And The Challenge Of Infectious Disease.
Microorganisms Causing Disease.
Where Do New Diseases Come From?.
Identifying The Causative Agent Of A Disease.
Host Resistance To Infection.
Understanding Bacterial Pathogenicity.
Comparative Genomics And Genome Plasticity.
Combating Infectious Disease.
Chapter Four: Analyzing And Treating Genetic Diseases.
Genetic Disease In Context.
Detecting Single Gene Disorders.
Treating Single Gene Disorders.
Finding Genes For Monogenic Diseases And Determining Gene Function.
Analysis Of Polygenic Disorders.
The Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC).
Individual Responses To Drugs (Pharmacogenomics).
Chapter Five: Diagnosis And Treatment Of Cancer.
The Impact Of Genomics On Cancer Research.
New Methods For The Diagnosis Of Cancer.
New Approaches To Cancer Therapy.
Chapter Six: The Large Scale Production Of Biopharmaceuticals.
The Generation Of Monoclonal Antibodies.
The Large Scale Culture Of Microorganisms.
The Large Scale Culture Of Animal Cells.
Using Gene Manipulation To Facilitate Downstream Processing. Of Biopharmaceuticals.
The Quality Of Biopharmaceuticals.
Good Manufacturing Practice.
Alternative Production Systems.
Chapter Seven: Genomics And The Development Of New Chemical Entities.
Introduction. How Drugs Are Developed.
Target Validation And Animal Models.
Dynamic Combinatorial Libraries.
Combinatorial Biosynthesis And Chemobiosynthesis.
Chapter Eight: Gene And Cell Therapies.
Nucleic Acids As Drugs.
- Written to provide the necessary overview of the subject, covering technological developments, applications and (where necessary) the ethical implications.
- Divided into three sections, the first section introduces the role of biotechnology and genomics in medicine and sets out some of the technological advances that have been the basis of recent medical breakthroughs.
- The second section takes a closer look at how biotechnology and genomics are influencing the prevention and treatment of different categories of disease.
- Finally the contribution of biotechnology and genomics to the development of different types of therapy is described, including conventional drugs, recombinant proteins and gene/cell therapies.
- References to appropriate sections in other two popular books, authored by Sandy Primrose and Richard Twyman, are included - Principles of Gene Manipulation and Principles of Gene Analysis and Genomics.
- Features several categories of boxed text, including history boxes (describing the origins and development of particular technologies or treatments), molecular boxes (featuring the molecular basis of diseases or treatments in more detail) and ethic boxes (which discusses the ethical implications of technology development and new therapies).