List of Figures.
List of Contributors.
Placing Scale: An Introduction. (Andrew Herod and Melissa W. Wright).
Part I: Theorizing Scale.
Introduction: Theorizing Scale. (Andrew Herod and Melissa W. Wright).
1. Beyond Global vs. Local: Economic Politics Outside the Binary Frame. (J. K. Gibson-Graham).
2. The Urban as an Object of Study in Global Cities Literatures: Representational Practices and Conceptions of Place and Scale. (Eugene J. McCann).
3. “Globalization,” the “Regulation Approach,” and the Politics of Scale. (Kevin Cox).
4. Retheorizing the Scale of Globalization: Topologies, Actor-Networks, and Cosmopolitanism. (Alan Latham).
Part II: Rhetoric of Scale.
Introduction: Rhetoric of Scale. (Andrew Herod and Melissa W. Wright).
5. “Adventure Travel for the Mind’’: Analyzing the United States Virtual Trade Mission’s Promotion of Globalization through Discourse and Corporate Media Strategies. (Ken Hillis, Michael Petit, and Altha J. Cravey).
6. Popular Culture, Academic Discourse, and the Incongruities of Scale. (Andrew Kirby).
7. Maintaining National Identity at the Border: Scale, Masculinity, and the Policing of Immigration in Southern California. (Susan P. Mains).
Part III: Scales of Praxis.
Introduction: Scales of Praxis. (Andrew Herod and Melissa W. Wright).
8. Contested Landscapes of Labor: Rival Unionism in the Farm Implements Industry. (Jeff Crump).
9. The Politics of Environmental Justice as the Politics of Scale: St. James Parish, Louisiana and the Shintech Siting Controversy. (Hilda Kurtz).
10. Networks, Governance, and the Politics of Scale: Inter-Urban Networks and the European Union. (Helga Leitner, Claire Pavlik, and Eric Sheppard).