Get The Job You Want, Even When No One's Hiring: Take Charge of Your Career, Find a Job You Love, and Earn What You Deserve
DescriptionGet the Job You Want, Even When No One’s Hiring
You CAN find a good job in a bad economy – but NOT with conventional search strategies.
New Rules for a New Reality
Today’s job market is the toughest in recent history, and the challenges are here to stay. Even so, you CAN get the job you want – IF you discard conventional approaches to the search. Get the Job You Want, Even When No One’s Hiring is the ONLY career book that:
- Explains the special strategies necessary to land a job during an economic crisis
- Integrates comprehensive, practical guidance on both job search and career management
- Provides an extensive online “Job Search Survival Toolkit” to augment the book
- Addresses the realities of this job market with real-world, actionable steps
- Positions this downturn in the economy as a positive opportunity to develop a much better career
In Get the Job You Want, Even When No One’s Hiring, career expert Ford R. Myers maps the new world of job search and reveals essential strategies for your success. You’ll learn how to seize opportunities that aren’t posted yet … how to make yourself an instant asset to potential employers … how to clearly stand-out as the best candidate ... and how to leverage social media, blogs, and other Web tools.
Best of all, you’ll learn how to “recession-proof” your career for the long term. Can YOU Get the Job You Want, Even When No One’s Hiring? With this powerful new book – YES, you can!
About Your Job Search Survival Toolkit.
PART I The Psychology of Job Hunting in a Down Market.
1. Yes, The Job Market Is Bad—Really Bad.
2. It.s Okay to Feel Frustrated, Depressed, Afraid, Helpless, or Disoriented.
3. This Has Happened Before, and It Will Happen Again.
4. Why Your Chances Are Better Than You Think.
5. The Number-One Secret to Job Search Success.
6. Tough Times Highlight the Difference Between Your Job and Your Career.
7. Most Job-Hunting Advice Doesn.t Apply in a World Turned Upside Down.
8. You Can.t Stop the Storm, So Learn to Work in the Rain.
9. How You Can Get A Better Job Faster When Times Are Tough.
10. When No One.s Hiring, Focus and Clarity Are More Important Than Ever.
11. Your Attitude and Assumptions Will Dictate Your Career Fate.
12. Seven Truths of Career Success, for Both Good Times and Bad.
13. How Employers React When There Are More Workers Than Jobs.
14. Twenty Habits of Highly Effective Job Seekers in a Down Market.
15. Hidden Sources of Career Support, Information, and Advice.
PART II From Desperation to Career Strategies for Tough Times.
16. What Do You Really Want to be Doing When the Economy Turns Around?
17. The Pay My Bills Strategy.
18. Why You Can.t Afford Not to Have a Strategic Plan.
19. In a Bad Job Market, You Must Work Backwards to Reach Your Goals.
20. Career Success Is an Inside Job.
21. The Start at the Beginning Strategy.
22. The Dream Job Strategy.
23. The Ideal Workday Strategy.
24. The Stepping Stone Strategy.
25. From Exploration to Execution.
26. Excellent Tools to Help You Get a Job When No One.s Hiring.
27. Narrowing Your Choices Is Easier Than You Think.
28. The Employer Wish List Strategy.
29. You Must Be Crystal Clear on Your Perfect Job Before It Can Become a Reality.
PART III Leveraging Your Core Job Seeker Materials.
30. The Best Tools Get the Best Jobs, Especially in a Down Market.
31. Surprise: Your Resume Is Your Least Important Tool.
32. Survival of the Fittest Is the Law of the Job Search Jungle.
33. Accomplishment Stories Are Your Most Powerful Selling Tools.
34. Verbal Presentations: What to Say and How to Say It.
35. Your Professional Biography Will Be Your Most Frequently Used Tool.
36. Developing a Target Company List Builds Your Momentum and Focus.
37. Deploy an Army of People Who Can Help You: Build Your Contact List.
38. Professional References Help You Prove You.re the Real Deal.
39. Letters of Recommendation Demonstrate Your Bottom-Line Value.
PART IV Job Search Tactics to Use When No One's Hiring.
40. Networking is Not Part of Your Job Search—Networking Is Your Job Search.
41. Great Networkers Are Not Great Talkers; They.re Great Listeners.
42. Never ‘‘Wing it’’ When You.re Networking—Use an Agenda.
43. Meeting with Hiring Managers Is Your Number-One Speed Advantage.
44. Masters of Networking Use a Networking Script.
45. When No One.s Hiring, the Best Way to Get a Job Is Not to Look For a Job.
46. Tracking Your Networking Is as Important as the Networking Itself.
47. The Networking Mini-Newsletter Helps You Stand Out When No One.s Hiring.
48. The Number-One Way to Get Hired When No One.s Hiring.
49. Create Your Online Career Identity—Blogs, Personal Web Site, and Social Media.
50. Beyond Monster.com: Making the Most of the Web When No One.s Hiring.
51. An Outstanding Resume Is Not Difficult to Create—if You Know the Code.
52. You Can Package a Strong Resume in Many Formats.
53. How to Use a Resume Addendum.
54. The Most Obvious Ways to Find a Job Are Usually the Biggest Wastes of Time.
55. Write Your Own Book on Career Success.
56. Every Company Is Hiring All the Time, Even in a Down Economy.
57. A Strong Cover Letter Is Designed to Get You an Interview.
58. Cover Letters That Open Doors for Any Situation.
59. Recruiters Are Not in Business to Help You.
60. Interviewing: Psychology, Strategies, Tactics, and Practice.
61. Interviewing Survival Guide for When No One.s Hiring.
62. Seal the Deal with Testimonials.
63. Negotiation: The Rules of the Game Work in Any Economy.
64. Don.t Be Afraid to Negotiate in A Down Market—Be Afraid Not to.
65. Twenty-One Rules of the Negotiating Game (No Matter How Bad the Job Market Is).
66. The Simplest Formula for Negotiating Success.
67. Salary Negotiation Made Simple: What to Say and How to Say It.
68. Everything Is Negotiable—Yes, Everything.
69. The Number-One Most Important Salary Negotiating Fact.
70. Comparing, Accepting, and Rejecting Offers.
71. Congratulations! You Got the Job (Even When No One Was Hiring).
PART V Bulletproof Your Career, Once and for All.
72. Landing Your Job Is Not the End—It.s the Beginning.
73. Celebrate Your New Job.
74. How to Avoid Winding Up on the Street Again.
75. Perpetual Career Management Is Your Insurance Policy.
76. Learn from the Past, Build Toward the Future.
77. The First 90 Days Make All the Difference.
78. Relationships Keep You Moving Up in a Down Economy.
79. Establish a Reputation for Producing Tangible Results.
80. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate—Then Deliver the Goods.
81. Review and Fine-Tune Your Job Description with Your Manager.
82. Maintain a Healthy Balance Between Your Work and Private Life.
83. Never Feel Helpless Again—No Matter How Bad the Job Market Gets.
Thirty-Seven Strategies, Tips, Ideas, and Reminders for When No One.s Hiring.
Weekly Productivity Tracking Charts.
List of Great Web Sites to Assist in Your Job Search.
Senior Executive Opportunities, $100,000 Plus.
General Career Opportunities.
General Career Support.
List of Web Sites with Useful Career Articles.
Forty-Two More Smart Questions to Ask at the Interview.
Words to Work By . . . .
About the Author.
How to Reach Us.