Getting Into Local Power: The Politics of Ethnic Minorities in British and French Cities
Foreword by Patrick Weil.
Series Editors' Preface.
1 Historical Instititionalism and the Comparison of Local Cases Strategies of Management of Ethnic Conflict and Historical Institutionalism.
2 The British Policy Framework: Liberal Citizenship Regime, Depoliticization and the Race-Relationism of British Cities.
3 The French Policy Framework: Planned Migration, Xenophobic Politics, and Durable Political Exclusion.
4 Birmingham: Inner-City Labour Politics and Pluri-Ethnic Government.
5 Lille: Machine Politics and Exclusion of Minorities in the French Municipal System.
6 Roubaix: Inclusion Through Neighbourhood Groups and an Open Municipal Game.
Appendix: Interviews and Sources.
Peter John, University of Manchester
"This study is important to our understanding of immigrants as political actors, and how national and local political systems shape their access and participation."
Martin Schain, New York University
"A very welcome addition to the literature on ethnic minority politics. Recommended reading for anyone … interested in ethnic minority political participation. Provides useful insights into the practice and operation of local politics in two very different political systems and as such should be recommended reading for anyone with an interest in local and urban politics in France and Britain."
Dr Alistair Clark, University of Birmingham, Local Government Studies
- A comparison of the participation of ethnic minorities in British and French cities
- Includes direct comparisons of particular cities Birmingham, Lille and Roubaix
- Shows how ethnic and cultural diversity translates into political conflict in different political systems
- Considers styles of political mobilisation of ethnic minorities in the context of urban political systems, as well as the strategies used by party leaders and to manage ethnic diversity in political competition
- Analyses how ethnic and cultural diversity in urban societies translates into conflictual politics
- Enhances our understanding of local politics and of the evolution of political representation in industrialised democracies