DescriptionEstablished companies are clamoring for breakthrough innovation, but are often hamstrung by the highly reliable, repeatable processes of their management systems. Based on years of research, Grabbing Lightning shows how twelve companies have tried to develop a capability for sustainable breakthrough innovation and outlines best practices for your organization.
The authors show how the management system for innovation is different from the traditional one in that it allows?and even encourages?mistakes and failures in order to promote learning. Grabbing Lightning outlines the three building blocks of breakthrough innovation (BI) and shows what it takes to become an organization that values the BI management system.
1. Management Systems for Innovation.
2. Assessing Your Organization's Capacity for Breakthrough Innovation.
3. The Discovery Competency.
4. Incubation: The Long and Winding Road.
5. Acceleration: Gathering Steam and Building Critical Mass.
6. The DNA Innovation System.
7. Incorporating the DNA: The Role of the Orchestrator.
8. Getting Started: Initiating and Maturing an Innovation Management System.
9. The Innovation Function.
Appendix A: Companies Participating in the Breakthrough Innovation Research Study.
Appendix B: Assessing Your Firm's Breakthrough Innovation Competency.
About the Authors.