List of Figures.
List of Tables.
List of Contributors.
Part I: Landscape, Seascape:.
1. The Physical Background: Friedrich Sauerwein (Modautal, Germany).
Part II: The March of the Past:.
2. The Human Foreground: Robin Barber (University of Edinburgh).
3. The Bronze Age Palace Societies: Oliver Dickinson (University of Durham).
4. Archaic into Classical: Graham Shipley (University of Leicester).
5. Greek Kings and Roman Emperors: Helen Parkins and Graham Shipley (Fitzwilliam College, University of Cambridge and University of Leicester).
Part III: Classical Mosaic:.
6. The Greek Countryside: Lin Foxhall (University of Leicester).
7. Politics and Public Life: the Urban Scene: Nick Fisher (University of Wales, Cardiff).
8. Greek Religious Practices: Robert Parker (New College, University of Oxford).
9. The Spoken and the Written Word: Kenneth Dover (University of St Andrews).
10. Examining Life: Edward Hussey (All Souls, University of Oxford).
11. Trades and Crafts: Alison Burford.
12. Architecture and Sculpture: Olga Palagia (University of Athens).
13. Crafts in the Private Sphere: Brian Sparkes (University of Southampton).
14. Women in Classical Athens: Sue Blundell (Birkbeck College, University of London).
15. Sex in Classical Athens: Brian Sparkes (University of Southampton).
Part IV: Continuity and Change:.
16. The Christian Millennium: Averil Cameron (Keble College, University of Oxford).
17. The Ottoman Centuries: Malcom Wagstaff (University of Southampton).
18. After Independence: Richard Clogg (St Antony's College, University of Oxford).
19. The Greek Legacy: Michael Greenhalgh (The Australian National University).
* Comprises nineteen chapters written by a distinguished group of international scholars.
* Covers all aspects of Ancient Greek civilization: geography, economy, architecture, literature, philosophy and the role of women.
* Includes numerous photos, drawings, maps and a timeline.