Green Home Improvement
Green Home Improvement
DescriptionIn a tight economy, this book offers clear financial benefits: Helps homeowners immediately cut their utility bills. Fits with the trend toward smaller home improvements most of the projects require only a modest investment. Gives readers an edge when they sell their homes buyers are especially looking for energy-efficiency, but they're also tuned into green health and environmental concerns.
The books projects range from quick, easy, low- or no-cost tasks like insulating a water heater, sealing foundation cracks, or painting with insulating paint to bigger-ticket items such as installing a new energy-efficient heating system, windows, or green flooring.
For each project, readers will learn: the steps required; material and installation options; what the improvement will cost; payback in savings on utility bills; health, comfort, and environmental benefits.
More than 65 Go Green tips highlighted throughout the book give readers ideas for quick, easy, and often low- or no-cost things they can do, right away, to make their homes and lifestyles greener.
Projects include: Green flooring & paint options Environmentally friendly cabinetry & countertops Whole-house insulation & weather-stripping High-efficiency heating & cooling Water conservation Efficient lighting, appliances & plumbing fixtures including Energy Star and WaterSense models Solar electric and water heating systems Eco-friendly roofing & siding Energy-efficient windows, doors & skylights Green materials for patios, walkways & driveways Landscaping & irrigation for water conservation and energy.
About the Author.
About the Reviewers.
Part One: Green Home Improvement Projects.
Green Flooring, Walls, Countertops & Cabinets.
1. Cork Flooring.
2. Bamboo Flooring.
3. Reclaimed Wood Flooring.
4. All-Natural Linoleum Flooring.
5. Laminate Flooring.
6. Recycled-Content Tile.
7. Recycled-Content Carpet.
8. All-Natural Wool Carpet.
9. Healthy Paints, Stains & Finishes.
10. Green Cabinetry.
Heating & Cooling Your Home Efficiently.
11. Home Energy Audit.
12. Caulking & Weather Stripping.
13. Insulating Your Home.
14. Insulate While You Paint.
15. Programmable Thermostat.
16. Insulated Shades & Curtains.
17. Solar Hot-Air Collector.
18. Energy-Efficient Furnace.
19. Energy-Efficient Boiler.
20. Heat Pump & Solar Hot Water.
21. Wood Stove.
22. Pellet Stove.
23. Fireplace Insert.
24. Radiant Barrier.
25. High-Efficiency Cooling Systems.
26. Ceiling & Solar Attic Fans.
27. Whole-House Fan.
28. Radon Test & Mitigation.
29. Energy-Recovery Ventilator.
30. Flushing Your Water Heater.
31. Water Heater Blanket & Pipe Insulation.
32. Adjusting Water Heater Temperature.
33. Water Heater Anode Rod Replacement.
34. Tankless Water Heater.
35. Solar Hot-Water System.
36. Faucet Aerators.
37. Water-Efficient Showerheads.
38. Water-Efficient Toilets.
Cutting Electrical Usage.
39. Eliminating Phantom Loads.
40. Energy-Efficient Lighting.
41. Energy-Efficient Appliances & Electronics.
42. Solar Electricity.
43. Purchasing Green Power.
44. Timers & Motion Sensor Light Switches.
Green Roofs, Siding, Doors & Windows.
45. Tubular Skylights.
46. Environmentally Friendly Roofing.
47. Fiber-Cement Siding.
48. Repairing Broken Windows.
49. Storm Windows.
50. Energy-Efficient Windows.
51. Storm Doors.
52. Door Sweeps.
53. Gutters & Downspouts.
54. Grading & Drainage.
Green Paving, Landscaping & Pools.
55. Green Patios, Walkways & Driveways.
56. Composite Decks & Porches.
57. Recycled Plastic/Composite Fencing.
58. Outdoor Solar Lighting.
60. Infiltration Basins for Trees & Shrubs.
61. Rainwater Collection Barrels.
62. Energy-Efficient Landscaping.
63. Drip Irrigation System.
64. Rain & Soil Moisture Sensors.
65. Solar Pool Heater & Cover.
Part Two: Building a New Green Home.
Part Three: Appendix.