Table of contents
1. The Intestinal Microflora (G.W. Tannock).
2. Food and the Large Intestine (S. MacFarlane and G.T. Macfarlane).
3. The Health Benefits of Probiotics and Prebiotics (G.R. Gibson, R.A. Rastall and R. Fuller).
4. Intestinal Microflora and Metabolic Activity (A. Perez Chaia and G. Oliver).
5. The Role of the Immune System (C.M. Riera, M. Maccioni and C.E. Sotomayor).
6. Behaviour of the Immune System in Eating Disorders.
7. Mucosal Immune System and Malnutrition (M.E. Roux, N.H. Slobodianik, P. Gauffin Cano and G. Perdigon).
8. Immune Activation versus Hyporesponsiveness and Tolerance in the Gut (J. Chin and A. Mullbacher).
9. Food Hypersensitivity and Allergic Diseases (R.K. Chandra).
10. Nutritional and Microbial Modulation of Carcinogenesis (R. Hughes and I. Rowland).
11. The Role of Nutrition in Immunity of the Aged (S. Walrand, M.-P. Vasson and B. Lesourd).
12. Conclusions (G. Perdigon and R. Fuller).