DescriptionFollowing on from the successful MPEG-2 standard, MPEG-4 Visual is enabling a new wave of multimedia applications from Internet video streaming to mobile video conferencing. The new H.264 ‘Advanced Video Coding’ standard promises impressive compression performance and is gaining support from developers and manufacturers. The first book to cover H.264 in technical detail, this unique resource takes an application-based approach to the two standards and the coding concepts that underpin them.
- Presents a practical, step-by-step, guide to the MPEG-4 Visual and H.264 standards for video compression.
- Introduces the basic concepts of digital video and covers essential background material required for an understanding of both standards.
- Provides side-by-side performance comparisons of MPEG-4 Visual and H.264 and advice on how to approach and interpret them to ensure conformance.
- Examines the way that the standards have been shaped and developed, discussing the composition and procedures of the VCEG and MPEG standardisation groups.
Focussing on compression tools and profiles for practical multimedia applications, this book ‘decodes’ the standards, enabling developers, researchers, engineers and students to rapidly get to grips with both H.264 and MPEG-4 Visual.
Dr Iain Richardson leads the Image Communication Technology research group at the Robert Gordon University in Scotland and is the author of over 40 research papers and two previous books on video compression technology.
2. Video Formats and Quality.
3. Video Coding Concepts.
4. The MPEG-4 and H.264 Standards.
5. MPEG-4 Visual.
6. H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10.
7. Design and Performance.
8. Applications and Directions.
"...a fascinating attempt to explain the fundamentals of MPEG-4 video technologies...highly recommended for broadcast engineers..." (EBU Technical Review, 2004)