Abbreviations and glossary.
1. Haemoglobin and the genetics of haemoglobin synthesis.
2. Laboratory techniques for the identification of abnormalities of globin chain synthesis.
3. α, β, δ, and γ thalassaemias and related conditions.
4. Sickle cell haemoglobin and its interactions with other variant haemoglobins and with thalassaemias.
5. Other significant haemoglobinopathies.
6. Acquired abnormalities of globin chain synthesis or haemoglobin structure.
7. Organization of a haemoglobinopathy diagnostic service.
8. Self-assessment - test cases.
“It provides a concise overview of the haemoglobinopathies and focuses on the selection, performance, and interpretation of relevant laboratory tests.” (E-Pathology, 27 February 2014)"As you would expect from Barabara Bain there is a wealth of superb microscopy photographs for peripheral smear, bone marrow and trephine slides. This new edition has been updated with 43 new pictures. A particularly valuable text for students preparing to sit MRCPAth or Advanced Practitioner examinations."
Medical Laboratory World
- An update of a successful first edition, which proved popular with haematology trainees & consultants
- Will include a 15% increase in content, as well as an expanded case studies section from the first edition
- Focuses on diagnosis and practical applications
Contains "test your knowledge" sections as well as case studies and self-assessment