DescriptionVeterinarians, technicians and wildlife caregivers are often called upon to have expertise in raising infant mammals. This book provides clear guidance to raising and caring for a wide variety of domestic, farm, wildlife, and zoo mammals from birth to weaning. Over thirty veterinary technicians, wildlife specialists, and veterinarians from around the world have contributed their expertise to this useful book that covers over 50 mammalian species.
Some of the topics covered in each chapter of this book include:
* Assessment of the neonate
* Specialised equipment
* Expected weight gains
* Formula selection and preparation
* Weaning techniques
* Common medical problems
Detailed chapters are devoted to the following animals:
* Domestic animals: puppies, kittens, ferrets, sugar gliders and rabbits
* Farm animals: foals, kids, llamas and piglets
* Wildlife: squirrels, opossums, raccoons, rabbits, deer, foxes, bears, bats, and hedgehogs
* Zoo animals: ungulates, non-domestic equids, exotic felids, polar bears, elephants, rhinoceroses, macropods, pinnipeds, large and small primates, lemurs and sloths
Dr Laurie Gage is well known for her work and expertise in the rearing of seals, sea lions and walruses and has experience in rearing many other mammalian species.
* nothing else pulls together all this information in one place
* appeals to vets and nurses alike