About the Contributors.
1. Setting the Stage for Working with Couples (Michele Harway).
SECTION I: LIFE CYCLE STAGES.
2. Premarital Counseling from the PAIRS Perspective (Lori H. Gordon, Robin Rose Temple, and Donald W. Adams).
3. The First Years of Marital Commitment (William C. Nichols).
4. Couples with Young Children (Linda Morano Lower).
5. Couples with Adolescents (C. Haydee Mas and James F. Alexander).
6. Therapy with Older Couples: Love Stories—The Good, the Bad, and the Movies (Thomas H. Peake and Angela E. Steep).
SECTION II: THEORETICAL PERSPECTIVES ON WORKING WITH COUPLES.
7. Bowen Family Systems Theory as Feminist Therapy (Louise Bordeaux Silverstein).
8. Cognitive Behavioral Couple Therapy (Terence Patterson).
9. Object Relations Couple Therapy (David E. Scharff and Yolanda de Varela).
10. Narrative Therapy with Couples: Promoting Liberation from Constraining Influences (Lynne V. Rosen and Charley Lang).
11. EFT: An Integrative Contemporary Approach (Brent Bradley and Susan M. Johnson).
12. Strategic and Solution-Focused Couple Therapy (Stephen Cheung).
13. Integrative Healing Couples Therapy: A Search for Self and Each Other (Patricia Pitta).
14. Feminist and Contextual Work (Roberta L. Nutt).
SECTION III: SPECIAL ISSUES FACED BY COUPLES.
15. Managing Emotional Reactivity in Couples Facing Illness: Smoothing Out the Emotional Roller Coaster (William H. Watson and Susan H. McDaniel).
16. Treating Couples with Sexual Abuse Issues (Michele Harway and Ellen Faulk).
17. Working with Couples Who Have Experienced Physical Aggression (Amy Holtzworth-Munroe, Kahni Clements, and Coreen Farris).
18. Couples and Addiction (Mark Stanton).
19. Infidelity: Theory and Treatment (Don-David Lusterman).
20. Religious and Spiritual Issues in Couples Therapy (Ilene Serlin).
21. Working with Same-Sex Couples (Daniel J. Alonzo).
22. Treating Couples across the Socioeconomic Spectrum (Florence W. Kaslow).
23. Divorcing Couples (Joy K. Rice).
24. What the Research Tells Us (Sally D. Stabb).
25. Some Concluding Thoughts about Couples and Couples Therapy (Michele Harway).