DescriptionThis second edition of the Handbook of Eating Disorders offers a comprehensive, critical account of the whole field of eating disorders, incorporating both basic knowledge and a synthesis of the most recent developments in the area.
Many of the important developments in recent years are reflected in this expanded volume such as the basic science of appetite control, the discovery of leptin and the knowledge about the neurotramsmitters involved in eating.
An invaluable review of scientific knowledge and approaches to treatment of eating disorders from anorexia nervosa to obesity.
* Covers basic concepts and science, clinical considerations of definition and assessment, and treatment approaches
* Focuses on newer developments in research and treatment
* Reflects evidence-based approaches to treatment as a guide to best practice
* Includes many new chapters and authors who represent the most authoritative scientists and clinicians worldwide
Preface to the First Edition.
1. Concepts of Eating Disorders (Bob Palmer).
2. Epidemiology (Daphne van Hoeken, Jacob Seidell and Hans Wijbrand Hoek).
3. Genetic Aetiology of Eating Disorders & Obesity (Elizabeth Winchester and David Collier).
4. Biology of Appetite and Weight Regulations (Frances Connan and Sarah Stanley).
5. Basic Neuroscience and Scanning (Martina de Zwaan).
6. Attachment and Childhood Development (Anne Ward and Simon Gowers).
7. Cognitive and Behavioral Models (Roz Shafran and Padmal de Silva).
8. Sociocultural Models (Mervat Nasser and Melanie Katzman).
9. Psychological Factors (Lucy Serpell and Nicholas Troop).
10. Medical Complications (Stephen Zipfel, Bernd Lowe and Wolfgang Herzog).
11. Family, Burden of Care and Social Consequences (Søren Nielsen and Núria Bara-Carril)
12. Treatment Overview (Janet Treasure and Ulrike Schmidt).
13. Motivation (Beatrice Bauer and Janet Treasure ).
14. Cognitive Behavioural Treatments (Glenn Waller and Helen Kennerley).
15. Interpersonal Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Eating Disorders (Denise Wilfley, Rick Stein and Robinson Welch).
16. Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (Bob Palmer and Helen Birchall).
17. Cognitive Analytic Therapy (Claire Tanner and Frances Connan).
18. Family Interventions (Ivan Eisler, Daniel leGrange and Eia Asen).
19. Drug Treatments (Tijs Bruna and Jaap Fogteloo).
20. Eating Disorder Services (Lorna Richards).
21. Day Treatments (Paul Robinson).
22. In-patient Treatment (Anthony Winston and Peter Webster).
23. Eating Disorders Males (Manfred Fichter and Krenn Heidelinde).
24. Athletes and Dancers (Jorunn Sundgot-Borgen, Fin Skarderud and Sheelagh Rodgers).
25. Comorbitity of Diabetes Mellitus (Stephen Herpetz and Søren Nielsen).
26. Children and Young Adolescents (Dasha Nicholls and Rachel Bryant-Waugh).
27. From Prevention to Health Promotion (Runi Borrensen and Jan Rosenvinge).
28. Early Identification (Greta Noordenbos).
""…exceptional text that really brings the current literature to life …a ‘must have’ bench-book within any eating disorder service” (European Eating Disorders Review, Vol 12 No 5 Sept-Oct 2004)
“…It has given me great pleasure to read this book… the handbook is of great use both clinically and scientifically…” (European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry No.13 2004)
""...excelling overview...is a valuable contribution to everyone working in the fields of eating disorders..."" (Journal of Psychosomatic Research, June 2006)