DescriptionComplex interacting networks are observed in systems from such diverse areas as physics, biology, economics, ecology, and computer science. For example, economic or social interactions often organize themselves in complex network structures. Similar phenomena are observed in traffic flow and in communication networks as the internet. In current problems of the Biosciences, prominent examples are protein networks in the living cell, as well as molecular networks in the genome. On larger scales one finds networks of cells as in neural networks, up to the scale of organisms in ecological food webs.
This book defines the field of complex interacting networks in its infancy and presents the dynamics of networks and their structure as a key concept across disciplines.
The contributions present common underlying principles of network dynamics and their theoretical description and are of interest to specialists as well as to the non-specialized reader looking for an introduction to this new exciting field.
Theoretical concepts include modeling networks as dynamical systems with numerical methods and new graph theoretical methods, but also focus on networks that change their topology as in morphogenesis and self-organization. The authors offer concepts to model network structures and dynamics, focussing on approaches applicable across disciplines.
List of Contributors.
1. Mathematical Results on Scale-free Random Graphs (Béla Bollobás and Oliver Riordan).
2. Random Graphs as Models of Networks (Mark Newman).
3. Emergence of Scaling in Complex Networks (Albert-László Barabási).
4. Structural Properties of Scale-Free Networks (R. Cohen, S. Havlin, and D. ben-Avraham).
5. Epidemics and Immunization in Scale-free Networks (Romualdo Pastor-Satorras and Alessandro Vespignani).
6. Cells and Genes as Networks in Nematode Development and Evolution (Ralf J. Sommer).
7. Complex Networks in Genomics and Proteomics (Ricard V. Solé and Romualdo Pastor-Satorras).
8. Correlation Profiles and Motifs in Complex Networks (Sergei Maslov, Kim Sneppen, and Uri Alon).
9. Theory of Interacting Neural Networks (Wolfgang Kinzel).
10. Modelling Food Webs (B. Drossel and A. J. McKane).
11. Traffic Networks (Kai Nagel).
12. Economic Networks (Alan Kirman).
13. Local Search in Unstructured Networks (Lada A. Adamic, Rajan M. Lukose and Bernardo A. Huberman).
14. Accelerated Growth of Networks (S.N. Dorogovtsev and J.F.F. Mendes).
15. Social Percolators and Self Organized Criticality (Gérard Weisbuch and Sorin Solomon).
16. Graph Theory and the Evolution of Autocatalytic Networks (Sanjay Jain and Sandeep Krishna).