DescriptionThis handbook comprehensively presents the current status of the manufacturing of the most important meat products. Editor and renowned meat expert Fidel Toldrá heads an international collection of meat scientists who have contributed to this essential reference book.
Coverage is divided into three parts. Part one, Technologies, begins with discussions on meat chemistry, biochemistry and quality and then provides background information on main technologies involved in the processing of meat, such as freezing, cooking, smoking, fermentation, emulsification, drying and curing. Also included are key chapters on packaging, spoilage prevention and plant cleaning and sanitation.
Part two, Products, is focused on the description of the manufacture of the most important products, including cooked and dry-cured hams, cooked and fermented sausages, bacon, canned meat, paté, restructured meats and functional meat products. Each chapter addresses raw materials, ingredients and additives, processing technology, main types of products, production data, particular characteristics and sensory aspects, and future trends.
Part three, Controls, offers current approaches for the control of the quality and safety of manufactured meat products, with coverage including sensory evaluation; chemical and biological hazards including GMOs; HACCP; and quality assurance.
This book is an invaluable resource for all meat scientists, meat processors, R&D professionals and product developers.
- Unparalleled international expertise of editor and contributing authors
- Addresses the state of the art of manufacturing the most important meat products
- Special focus on approaches to control the safety and quality of processed meats
- Extensive coverage of production technologies, sanitation, packaging and sensory evaluation
List of Contributors
About the Editor
PART I. Technologies
1. Chemistry and Biochemistry of Meat (Elisabeth Huff-Lonergan).
2. Technological Quality of Meat for Processing (Susan Brewer).
3. Meat Decontamination (Panagiotis N. Skandamis, George-John E. Nychas, and John N. Sofos).
4. Aging/Tenderization Mechanisms (Brian C. Bowker, Janet S. Eastridge, Ernie W. Paroczay, Janice A. Callahan, and Morse B. Solomon).
5. Freezing/Thawing (Christian James and Stephen J. James).
6. Curing (Karl O. Honikel).
7. Emulsification (Irene Allais).
8. Thermal Processing (Jane Ann Boles).
9. Fermentation: Microbiology and Biochemistry (S. Paramithiotis, Eleftherios H. Drosinos, John N. Sofos, and George-John E. Nychas).
10. Starter Cultures for Meat Fermentation (Pier Sandro Cocconcelli and Cecilia Fontana).
11. Drying (Endre Zukál and Kálmán Incze).
12. Smoking (Zdzisław E. Sikorski and Edward Ko´lakowski ).
13. Meat Packaging (Maurice G. O’Sullivan and Joseph P. Kerry).
14. Novel Technologies for Microbial Spoilage Prevention (Oleksandr Tokarskyy and Douglas L. Marshall).
15. Plant Cleaning and Sanitation (Stefania Quintavalla).
PART II. Products
16. Cooked Ham (Fidel Toldrá, Leticia Mora, and Mónica Flores).
17. Cooked Sausages (Eero Puolanne).
18. Bacon (Peter R. Sheard).
19. Canned Products and Pâté (Isabel Guerrero Legarreta).
20. Dry-Cured Ham (Fidel Toldrá and M. Concepción Aristoy).
21. Mold-Ripened Sausages (Kálmán Incze).
22. Semidry and Dry Fermented Sausages (Graciela Vignolo, Cecilia Fontana, and Silvina Fadda).
23. Restructured Whole-Tissue Meats (Mustafa M. Farouk).
24. Functional Meat Products (Keizo Arihara and Motoko Ohata).
PART III. Controls
25. Physical Sensors for Quality Control during Processing (Marta Castro-Giráldez, Pedro José Fito, Fidel Toldrá, and Pedro Fito).
26. Sensory Evaluation of Meat Products (Geoffrey R. Nute).
27. Safety Controls: Detection of Chemical Hazards (Milagro Reig and Fidel Toldrá).
28. Microbial Hazards in Foods: Food-Borne Infections and Intoxications (Daniel Y. C. Fung).
29. Assessment of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) in Meat Products by PCR (Marta Hernández, Alejandro Ferrando, and David Rodríguez-Lázaro).
30. HACCP: Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (Maria Joao Fraqueza and António Salvador Barreto).
31. Quality Assurance (Friedrich-Karl Lücke).