DescriptionProviding optimal care for heart failure patients is a complex challenge that requires cooperation and coordination across multiple disciplines. Now, you can apply the successful techniques pioneered at the Cleveland Clinic, which are carefully explored and explained in this text.
Drs. McCarthy and Young draw on their experience to show how an interdisciplinary team works together to:
- arrive at a proper diagnosis
- initiate medical therapy
- make decisions regarding the best use of percutaneous therapies, surgical therapies, electrical therapies, and the use of mechanical circulatory support devices and transplantation.
Throughout the book, they present the most updated evidence for both drug trials and surgical trials. They emphasize the benefits of performing the most complete surgery that is practical, then continuing medical therapy. Each chapter focuses on one aspect of treatment, but the authors recognize that the best way to manage an individual patient is often to adapt a variety of different therapies. They state their opinions clearly, identifying which part of care is science and which is art.
Heart Failure: A Combined Medical and Surgical Approach is a true collaboration that helps you identify the most effective strategies – operative interventions, pacing and ICD treatment, new diagnostic tools, and pharmacotherapeutic developments – and implement them for your patients.
1 Epidemiology of heart failure: progression to pandemic?, 1
Randall C. Starling
2 Heart failure clinical trials: shaping the evidence for treatment guidelines, 9
James B. Young
3 Standard medical therapy of heart failure, 21
Mohamad H. Yamani
4 Novel therapies in heart failure, 44
W.H.Wilson Tang & Gary S. Francis
5 Implantable cardioverter defibrillators and biventricular pacemakers in congestive heart failure, 69
Mandeep Bhargava & Bruce L.Wilkoff
6 Managing a heart failure clinic, 99
Nancy M. Albert
7 Novel imaging technologies for heart failure patients, 115
Richard D. White
8 Assessment of myocardial viability in ischemic cardiomyopathy, 126
9 Bypass surgery in the treatment of ischemic cardiomyopathy, 145
Bruce W. Lytle
10 Valve surgery for patients with left ventricular dysfunction, 153
11 Ventricular reconstruction and device therapies for cardiomyopathy patients, 174
Patrick M.McCarthy & Edwin C.McGee, Jr.
12 Mechanical circulatory support, 192
José Luis Navia
13 The role of heart transplantation, 228
David O. Taylor
14 Perioperative care of the surgical patient with heart failure: from conventional cardiac surgery to mechanical circulatory support, 255
Tiffany Buda & Patrick M.McCarthy
15 Biological approaches to heart failure: gene transfer and cell transplantation, 272
Marc S. Penn, Samuel Unzek & Arman T. Askari
16 Ethical issues in cardiothoracic medicine, 289
Katrina A. Bramstedt
Disclosure Statements, 305
Doody’s Review Service
"This first edition is an excellent review of the modern management of heart failure written by specialists from multiple disciplines. It is well organized, succinct, and elegantly reviews the current modalities in the treatment of heart failure." (Bijesh P. Maroo, BS, MS, MD, @Doody's Review Service)
- provides the current understanding of this complex disease, as well as standard and emerging therapies to improve both the quality and quantity of life for our patients.
- reviews basic epidemiology, disease prevention, and emerging drug therapies
- reflects the much broader spectrum of treatment strategies that now includes surgical and electrophysiologic approaches.
- liberally supplemented with graphic illustrations, clinical observations regarding patient care, and expertise reflecting the team approach to the care of these complex patients