About the Authors.
Part One: Exploring the Public Good.
1. The Special Role of Higher Education in Society: As a Public Good for the Public Good (Tony C. Chambers).
2. Challenges for Higher Education in Serving the Public Good (Adrianna J. Kezar).
3. Creating a Metamovement: A Vision Toward Regaining the Public Social Charter (Adrianna J. Kezar).
Part Two: Public Policy and the Public Good.
4. State Governance and the Public Good (David Longanecker).
5. Listening to the Public: A New Agenda for Higher Education? (David Mathews).
6. Trusteeship and the Public Good (Richard Novak, Susan Whealler Johnston).
7. The Public Good and a Racially Diverse Democracy (Denise O’Neil Green, William T. Trent).
Part Three: Cross-Sector Issues and the Public Good.
8. Liberal Education and the Civic Engagement Gap (Carol Geary Schneider).
9. The Disciplines and the Public Good (Edward Zlotkowski).
10. Scholarship for the Public Good: Living in Pasteur’s Quadrant (Judith A. Ramaley).
Part Four: Institutional Governance and Leadership for the Public Good.
11. Integrating a Commitment to the Public Good into the Institutional Fabric (Lee Benson, Ira Harkavy, Matthew Hartley).
12. Rethinking Faculty Roles and Rewards for the Public Good (Kelly Ward).
13. Institutional Differences in Pursuing the Public Good (Barbara A. Holland).
Part Five: Individual Leadership for the Public Good.
14. Leading the Engaged Institution (James C. Votruba).
15. Preparing Doctoral Students for Faculty Careers That Contribute to the Public Good (Ann Austin, Benita J. Barnes).
16. Let Us Speak: Including Students’ Voices in the Public Good of Higher Education (Stephen John Quaye).
17. Presidential Leadership for the Public Good (Martha W. Gilliland).
Part Six: Concluding Thoughts on the Public Good.
18. Creating Dialogue: A New Charter and Vision of the Public Good (Adrianna J. Kezar).
19. Pondering the Social Charter: Critical Reflection for Leaders (Tony C. Chambers).