Hijacking America: How the Secular and Religious Right Changed What Americans Think
Introduction: How the Secular and Religious Right Captured America 1
1 Manufacturing Common Sense, or Cultural Hegemony for Beginners 13
2 Foreign Affairs 61
3 The American Religious Right and its Long March through the Institutions 99
4 Extinguishing the Enlightenment: The Assault on Knowledge 153
5 Lobbies, Corridors, and Seats of Power 200
Conclusion: Why Undertake this Book? 243
"A powerful, shocking and extremely important book. In a gripping investigation, Susan George uncovers the central problem with the US state and shows us how to confront it."
"Susan George has sounded a timely warning: the US intends to brook no rivals."
"Noteworthy in Obama's campaign was his appearance before the AIPAC convention and his subsequent silence on the invasion of the Gaza Strip. George's call for the organisation of the US left remains pertinent."
Development in Practice
- Major new book from Susan George – a leading political commentator whose previous books have been massively influential and widely read and reviewed.
- Fascinating, thorough and often chilling account of this decades-long transformation of American society and political culture.
- Argues that the United States has undergone a fundamental shift to the right in its thinking and culture in recent decades and that this will be very difficult to reverse.
- Provocative and radical, this book is likely to attract lots of media attention and a large activist audience.
- Highly topical before and after next year’s election, especially given that many progressives hope passionately that the Bush era is no more than an a short-term aberration.