Part I: Classical Texts.
1 The Vedas.
3 The Jaiminigrhyasutra.
4 The Mahabharata.
5 The Bhagavad Gita.
6 The Ramayana of Valmiki.
7 The Puranas, Stories of the Ancient Past.
8 The Bhagavata Purana.
9 Manavadharmasastra, The Law Code of Manu.
Part II: Contemporary Texts and Issues .
10 Papers Relating to East India Affairs, viz. Hindoo Windows, and Voluntary Immolations.
11 Raja Rammohan Ray (1772–1833).
12 Dr B.R. Ambedkar (1891–1956).
13 The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.
14 Kancha Ilaiah’s Why I Am Not a Hindu: A Sudra Critique of Hindutva Philosophy, Culture, and Political Economy.
15 Hindutva: Vinayak Damodar Savarkar and the Rise of Hindu Nationalism.
16 The Constitution of India.
"Sarma has done a good job … .An excellent collection for use in the classroom and for the interested reader." (Expository Times, December 2008)
- A student-friendly Reader, combining passages from scriptures with excerpts from the work of leading scholars in the field
- Introduces students to the main textual, regional, intellectual, philosophical, historical, and contemporary traditions of the Hindu faith
- Includes excerpts from both canonical ancient texts and thought-provoking contemporary texts to offer a balanced overview of the religion
- Features selections that are concise without sacrificing essential material
- Provides clearly written introductions to each section that help situate the readings within the wider context of Hindu scholarship.