Place of First Publication.
Preface by Janet Nelson.
Part I: Aspects of the European Tradition of Historical Writing.
1 The Classical Tradition from Einhard to Geoffrey of Monmouth.
2 Hugh of St Victor and the Idea of Historical Development.
3 History as Prophecy.
4 The Sense of the Past.
Part II: History.
5 The Shape and Substance of Academic History.
6 The Historical Experience.
7 The Truth about the Past.
Part III: Historians.
8 Review of The Letters of Frederic William Maitland.
9 Sir Maurice Powicke (1879–1963).
10 Vivian Hunter Galbraith (1889–1976).
11 Richard William Hunt (1908–1979).
12 Marjorie Reeves as an Historian.
13 Beryl Smalley (1905–1984)Bibliography of the Publications of R. W. Southern.
Bibliography of the Publications of R. W. Southern.
- A collection of writings by the great medieval historian, Sir Richard Southern.
- Offers a fascinating insight into the beliefs and ideas that underpinned Southern’s work.
- Contains the series of reflections on medieval historical writing that Southern produced during his tenure as President of the Royal Historical Society.
- Also includes pieces on the nature of academic history, as well as Southern’s appreciations of other medievalists.
- Brings together texts that would otherwise be difficult to locate.
- Makes these writings accessible to the wider audience they deserve.