DescriptionDo you long to create picture-perfect rooms but can’t quite seem to achieve them? Do you want better functioning spaces for working, playing, or living? Do you clamor to express your personal style? If you said “yes” to any of these questions, you’ve turned to the right source for real answers from the pros.
Home Decorating For Dummies, 2nd Edition is for all kinds of people in all kinds of decorating situations, including:
- First-time buyers or renters. You have a whole new place to decorate. Where do you start?
- Second- or third-time home buyers. Whether you’ve gone up or down in size, stayed in the same region or moved to a whole new one, you need to know how to make your old furniture work in a new setting, how to add furnishings, and how to make your style seem fresh.
- Newly blended families. He has furniture, she has furniture, they have furniture. Can it all work together harmoniously? Indeed!
- And anyone else who loves decorating. Don’t forget: Imagination counts.
Each part of Home Decorating For Dummies, deals with a broad area of decorating, and each chapter contains specific and detailed information. You'll discover tips on
- Basic planning – where to begin when you want to start decorating
- Creating surface interest – the effects of color, pattern, and texture, and the problems created by too much or too little of them
- Creating backgrounds – what you need to know about the special decorating requirements of your walls
- Tackling tough rooms – how to effectively decorate rooms that have special functional requirements
- Accessorizing with art and other stuff – adding the final flourishes to every space in your place
Home Decorating For Dummies, 2nd Edition contains all the basics – including how to figure out what you can spend; how to spend it; and the latest and greatest in styles, trends, and technology. What do you do with your space next? The possibilities are endless.
Part I: Basic Planning.
Chapter 1: Bringing Your Vision to Life.
Chapter 2: Planning Your Budget.
Chapter 3: Evaluating Your Space.
Chapter 4: Understanding Design Principles.
Part II: Creating Surface Interest.
Chapter 5: Eyeing Color Basics.
Chapter 6: Applying Pattern Basics.
Chapter 7: Feeling Your Way Through Textures.
Chapter 8: Troubleshooting Basics.
Part III: Style and Substance.
Chapter 9: Living with Historic Decorating Styles.
Chapter 10: Decorating with Contemporary Styles.
Chapter 11: Determining Your Personal Decorating Style.
Chapter 12: Finding Out about Furniture.
Part IV: Creating Backgrounds.
Chapter 13: Creating Wonderful Walls.
Chapter 14: Finding Fabulous Floors.
Chapter 15: Sprucing Up Ceilings.
Chapter 16: Dressing Up Windows.
Chapter 17: Lively Lighting.
Part V: Tackling the Three Tough Rooms: Kitchen, Bath, and Home Office.
Chapter 18: Cooking Up Your Dream Kitchen.
Chapter 19: Beautifying Your Bathroom.
Chapter 20: Setting Up Your Home Office.
Part VI: Fixing Up Four Easy Rooms.
Chapter 21: Styling Serene Bedrooms.
Chapter 22: Creating Your Living Room.
Chapter 23: Designing for Dining.
Chapter 24: Transforming Bonus Areas.
Part VII: Embellishments: Accessorizing with Art and Other Stuff.
Chapter 25: Acquiring and Arranging Art.
Chapter 26: Accentuating Your Style.
Part VIII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 27: Ten Quick and Easy Centerpieces.
Chapter 28: Ten Tips for Leftover Wallpaper.
Chapter 29: Ten Favorite Sources.