Hostage at the Table: How Leaders Can Overcome Conflict, Influence Others, and Raise Performance
DescriptionGeorge Kohlrieser—an international leadership professor, consultant, and veteran hostage negotiator—explains that it is only by openly facing conflict that we can truly progress through the most difficult business challenges. In this provocative book, he reveals how the proven techniques and psychological insights used in hostage negotiation can be applied successfully to any personal or business relationship. Step by step, he outlines the seven key factors that anyone can use to remove the blocks that stand in the way of resolving tough problems and shows how business leaders, in particular, can develop and access the skills they need to create trust and a positive mind-set in their companies.
1. Are You Being Held Hostage Without Knowing It?
2. Finding Freedom Through Your Mind's Eye.
3. The Potential of the Bonding Cycle.
4. The Strength of a Secure Base.
5. The Art of Conflict Management.
6. Effective Dialogue.
7. The Power of Negotiation.
8. Mastering Our Emotions.
9. Living with a Hostage-Free State of Mind.
"Read this book…" (Reading Chronicle, December 2006)