Straight answers to every question you've ever had about how the economy works and how it affects your life
In this Collector's Edition of their celebrated How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes, Peter Schiff, economic expert and bestselling author of Crash Proof and The Real Crash, once again teams up with his brother Andrew to spin a lively economic fable that untangles many of the fallacies preventing people from really understanding what drives an economy. The 2010 original has been described as a “Flintstones” take economics that entertainingly explains the beauty of free markets. The new edition has been greatly expanded in both quantity and quality. A new introduction and two new illustrated chapters bring the story up to date, and most importantly, the book makes the jump from black and white to full and vivid color.
With the help of colorful cartoon illustrations, lively humor, and deceptively simple storytelling, the Schiff's bring the complex subjects of inflation, monetary policy, recession, and other important topics in economics down to Earth. The story starts with three guys on an island who barely survive by fishing barehanded. Then one enterprising islander invents a net, catches more fish, and changes the island’s economy fundamentally. Using this story the Schiffs apply their signature take-no-prisoners logic to expose the glaring fallacies and gaping holes permeating the global economic conversation. The Collector’s Edition:
- Provides straight answers about how economies work, without relying on nonsensical jargon and mind-numbing doublespeak the experts use to cover up their confusion
- Includes a new introduction that sets the stage for developing a deeper, more practical understanding of inflation and the abuses of the monetary system
- Adds two new chapters that dissect the Federal Reserve’s Quantitative easing policies and the European Debt Crisis.
- Colorizes the original book's hundreds of cartoon illustrations. The improved images, executed by artist Brendan Leach from the original book, add new vigor to the presentation
- Has a larger format that has been designed to fit most coffee tables.
While the story may appear simple on the surface, as told by the Schiff brothers, it will leave you with a deep understanding of How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes.
Author's Note IX
Chapter 1 An Idea Is Born 1
Chapter 2 Sharing The Wealth 13
Chapter 3 The Many Uses Of Credit 27
Chapter 4 Economic Expansion 37
Chapter 5 Prosperity Loves Company 47
Chapter 6 Put It In The Vault 63
Chapter 7 Infrastructure And Trade 77
Chapter 8 A Republic Is Born 91
Chapter 9 Government Gets Creative 101
Chapter 10 Shrinking Fish 119
Chapter 11 A Lifeline From Afar 129
Chapter 12 The Service Sector Steps Up 141
Chapter 13 Closing The Fish Window 153
Chapter 14 The Hut Glut 161
Chapter 15 The Hut Rut 177
Chapter 16 Stepping On The Gas 193
Chapter 17 The Fish Hit The Fan 209
About The Authors 231
About The Illustrator 233