DescriptionIn this thoroughly revised and updated second edition of Human Resources Management for Public and Nonprofit Organizations, Joan E. Pynes--a respected authority in public administration--demonstrates how strategic human resources management is essential for proactively managing change in an environment of tighter budgets, competition from private organizations, the need to maintain and train a more diverse workforce, and job obsolescence brought about by shifts in technology. Complete with a free online instructor's manual, this new edition offers current compensation and budgetary guidance and helps practitioners navigate the newest legal and technological challenges and opportunities in human resource management.
Part One: Human Resources Management in Context.
1 Human Resources Management in a Dynamic Environment.
2 Strategic Human Resources Management and Planning.
3 Strategic Human Resources Management and Technology.
4 Equal Employment Opportunity.
5 Valuing a Diverse Workforce.
6 Volunteers in the Public and Nonprofit Sectors.
Part Two: Methods and Functions of Human Resources Management.
7 Job Analysis.
8 Recruitment and Selection.
9 Performance Management.
12 Training and Development.
13 Collective Bargaining in the Public and Nonprofit Sectors.
Conclusion: Challenges for Public and Nonprofit Organizations.
- Premier guide to strategic HR management in public and nonprofit organizations; includes an expanded chapter on strategic human resources management in public and nonprofit organizations reflecting the increasing importance of human resources planning.
- Includes a new chapter on the use of technology in HR issues and Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS)
- The second edition contains updated and expanded sections addressing legal issues including updated US Supreme Court decisions on sexual harassment, sexual orientation discrimination, age discrimination, the American with Disabilities Act, and the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Includes an expanded chapter on valuing a diverse workforce and provides examples of the efforts undertaken by public and nonprofit organizations.
- New to the chapter on Recruitment and Selection is a discussion of practical intelligence, emotional intelligence, adaptability and multiple intelligences and organizational citizen performance behaviors.
- Includes a free, online instructor's manual that includes study questions and on-line exercises as well as pairings of the chapters in this book with other case and exercise books for supplemental activities.
- Contains sample pay scales, performance evaluation tools, position analyses and recruitment questionnaires
- New material in the chapter on benefits includes information on COBRA, the Mental Health Parity Act and Military Leave.
- Premier guide to strategic human resource management in both public and nonprofit organizations.
- Includes free, online instructor's manual.
- Contains sample pay scales, performance evaluation tools, position analyses and recruitment questionnaires.