- Technology professionals seeking higher-paying security jobs need to know security fundamentals to land the job-and this book will help
- Divided into two parts: how to get the job and a security crash course to prepare for the job interview
- Security is one of today's fastest growing IT specialties, and this book will appeal to technology professionals looking to segue to a security-focused position
- Discusses creating a resume, dealing with headhunters, interviewing, making a data stream flow, classifying security threats, building a lab, building a hacker's toolkit, and documenting work
- The number of information security jobs is growing at an estimated rate of 14 percent a year, and is expected to reach 2.1 million jobs by 2008
Chapter 1: Finding, Interviewing for, and Getting the Job.
Pursuing a Degree.
The Perfect Job.
Accepting or Rejecting the Offer.
Nontechnical Interview Questions.
Chapter 2: Knowing Networks: Fundamentals.
Chapter 3: Knowing Security: Fundamentals.
Adjust Your Thinking.
Data Classification and Labeling.
Ethics in Information Security.
Daily Security Responsibilities.
Chapter 4: Understanding Regulations, Legislation, and Guidance.
Regulations, Legislation, and Guidance Defined.
Why Does an Employer Care?
Why Should You Care?
Government- and DoD-Specific Information.
Commercial Information Security.
Using This Information in the Interview.
Chapter 5: Knowing Firewalls: Fundamentals.
Chapter 6: Knowing Virtual Private Networks.
Goals and Assumptions.
The Cryptography of VPNs.
IP Security Review.
Alternatives to IPsec.
Chapter 7: Knowing IDS/IPS/IDP.
What Questions Do You Want to Ask Me?
Chapter 8: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Wireless but Were Afraid They' Ask.
Wireless Cards and Chipsets.
Wireless Drivers for Linux.
WLAN Detection (WarDriving).
Rogue Wireless Devices.
Chapter 9: Finding Your Posture.
History of Information Security.
Modern Information Security.
Determining the Security Posture.
Prioritizing the Vulnerabilities.
Chapter 10: Tools.
Enumeration, Port Scanning, and Banner Grabbing.
Password Compliance Testing.