1. An introduction to magmas and magmatic rocks.
2. Basalts and related rocks.
3. Magma differentiation.
4. Gabbroic rocks.
5. Ultramafi c and ultrabasic rocks.
6. Andesite, dacite and rhyolite.
7. How magmas erupt – an introduction to pyroclastic processes and products.
8. Granitic rocks.
9. Alkali rocks.
Appendix A – Mineral identifi cation using a polarizing microscope.
Appendix B – Petrographic calculations.
Appendix C – Symbols, units and constants used in this book.
Answers to exercises.
Colour plate section.
Companion website for this book: wiley.com/go/gill/igneous.
"This textbook will be an invaluable guide for undergraduates in the laboratory and will allow them to develop their interpretative skills in petrology in the most intuitive way. The breadth of topics, clear layout and level of detail will no doubt lead it to become an essential, always on- hand reference for students." (Geological Magazine, 2010)
* Can act as either the core text for an igneous petrology course, or as a supplement to existing text