- Public and private networks will eventually be configured in such a way that all voice calls are routed using Internet protocols
- Reviews existing and emerging standards for voice over IP
- Provides detailed guidance on how to engineer an efficient VoIP network
- Discusses quality of service (QoS) enforcement techniques
- Shows how to prototype and test a network's performance
Background and Introduction.
Technologies Supporting VoIP.
Evolution of VoIP Signaling Protocols.
Criteria for Evaluating VoIP Service.
A Testbed for Evaluating VoIP Service.
VoIP Deployment in Enterprises.
VoIP in the Public Networks.
VoIP for Global Communications.
Conclusions and Challenges.
Appendix A. Call Progress Time Measurement in IP Telephony.
Appendix B. Automation of Call Setup in IP Telephony for Tests and Measurements.
Appendix C. Evaluation of VoIP Services.
Glossary of Acronyms and Terms.