DescriptionThe first edition of Inductively Coupled Plasma Spectrometry and its Applications was written as a handbook for users who wanted a better understanding of the theory augmented by a practical insight of how best to approach a range of applications, and to provide a useful starting point for users trying an approach or technique new to them. These objectives have been retained in the second edition but a slight shift in emphasis gives the volume an overall perspective that is more forward looking.
Structured into 11 chapters, the current edition is a thorough revision of the original, covering the principles of inductively coupled plasmas, instrumentation, methodology and applications within environmental analysis, earth science, food science and clinical medicine. Each chapter, written by internationally recognised leaders in their specific subject areas, provides enough detail to be useful to both the new and experienced users. Full account is taken of recent developments, such as high resolution instruments, novel detection systems and electrospray techniques.
Written for all analytical scientists but particularly those involved in atomic spectroscopy and in environmental, geochemical, clinical or food analysis, this timely and informative book will be an essential reference in their use of inductively coupled plasmas to achieve their own scientific goals.
2. Fundamental principles of inductively coupled plasmas.
3. Basic concepts and Instrumentation for Plasma Spectrometry.
4. Aerosol generation and sample transport.
5. Fundamental aspects of ICP-MS.
6. Use of ICP-MS for isotope ratio measurements.
7. Alternative and Mixed Gas Plasmas.
8. Electrospray ionisation mass spectrometry: A complementary source for trace element speciation analysis.
9. Geological applications of plasma spectrometry.
10. Environmental and clinical applications of inductively coupled plasma spectrometry.
11. Applications of plasma spectrometry in food science
The coverage of a range of applications is considered to be a particular strength
The advantages and disadvantages of the various methods are covered, to provide a useful starting point for users trying a new approach or technique