Introduction (Andrew McBride, Richard Pates and Karin Arnold).
1. History of Injecting (Richard Pates and Jan Wichter).
2. The Eye of the Needle: an Ethno-Epidemiological Analysis of Injecting Drug Use (Jean-Paul Grund).
3. Pharmaceutical Aspects of Injecting (Jennifer Scott).
4. Needle Fixation (Richard Pates, Andrew McBride and Karin Arnold).
5. Women and Injecting (Rosdana Oretti and Pim Gregory).
6. Injecting in Prisons (David Shewan, Heino Stover and Kate Dolan).
7. Hepatitis C associated with Injecting Durg Use (Nick Crofts).
8. HIV and Injecting Drug Use (Robert Heimer).
9. Odde Commotions: Some Other Health Consequences of Injecting (Andrew McBride and Jan Wichter).
10. Transitions to and from Injecting (Matthew Southwell).
11. Safer Injecting: Individual Harm Reduction Advice (Helen Williams and Mark Norman).
12. Overdose: Prevalence, Predictors and Prevention (Trudi Petersen and David Best).
13. Supervised Injecting Rooms (Robert Haemmig and Ingrid van Beck).
14. Injecting Drugs- The User's Perspective (Jimmy Dorabjee).
- Provides contextual information including ethno-epidemiology, historical and pharmaceutical considerations.
- Includes topical issues such as needle fixation, transitions to and from injecting, and illicit drug use in prison settings.
- Documents the relationship between injecting practice and infectious diseases, such as HIV and hepatitis C.
- Explores harm reduction approaches such as safer injecting and supervised injecting rooms.
- Reflects international perspectives from expert contributors.