DescriptionPart of the IFT (Institute of Food Technologists) series, this book discusses multiphysics modeling and its application in the development, optimization, and scale-up of emerging food processing technologies. The book covers recent research outcomes to demonstrate process efficiency and the impact on scalability, safety, and quality, and technologies including High Pressure Processing, High Pressure Thermal Sterilization, Radiofrequency, Ultrasound, Ultraviolet, and Pulsed Electric Fields Processing. Ideal for food and process engineers, food technologists, equipment designers, microbiologists, and research and development personnel, this book covers the importance and the methods for applying multiphysics modeling for the design, development, and application of these technologies.
1. Introduction to Innovative Food Processing Technologies: Background, Advantages, Issues and Need for Multiphysics Modeling (Gustavo V. Barbosa-Cánovas, Abdul G. Albaali, Pablo Juliano and Kai Knoerzer).
2. The Need for Thermophysical Properties in Simulating Emerging Food Processing Technologies (Pablo Juliano, Francisco Javier Trujillo, Gustavo V. Barbosa-Cánovas, Kai Knoerzer).
3. Neural Networks: Their Role in High Pressure Processing (J.S. Torrecilla and Pedro D. Sanz).
4. Computational Fluid Dynamics Applied in High Pressure Processing Scale Up (Cornelia Rauh and Antonio Delgado).
5. Computational Fluid Dynamics Applied in High Pressure High Temperature Processes: Spore Inactivation Distribution and Process Optimization (Pablo Juliano, Kai Knoerzer and Cornelis Versteeg).
6. Computer Simulation for Microwave Heating (Hao Chen and Juming Tang).
7. Simulating and Measuring Transient Three-Dimensional Temperature Distributions in Microwave Processing (Kai Knoerzer, Marc Regier and Helmar Schubert).
8. Multiphysics Modeling of Ohmic Heating (Peter J. Fryer, G. Porras-Parral, Serafim Bakalis).
9. Basics for Modeling of Pulsed Electric Field Processing of Foods (Nicolás Meneses, Henry Jaeger, and Dietrich Knorr).
10. Computational Fluid Dynamics Applied in Pulsed Electric Field Preservation of Liquid Foods (Nicolás Meneses, Henry Jaeger, and Dietrich Knorr).
11. Novel, Multi-objective Optimization of Pulsed Electric Field (PEF) Processing for Liquid Food Treatment (Jens Krauss, Ö. Ertunç, Cornelia Rauh, and Antonio Delgado).
12. Multiphysics Modeling Applied to Ultrasonic Food Processing: Review and New Approaches to Model the Acoustic Field and the Acoustic Streaming Induced by an Ultrasonic Horn Sonoreactor (Francisco J. Trujillo and Kai Knoerzer).
13. Computational Study of Ultrasound-Assisted Drying of Food Materials (Enrique Riera, José Vicente García-Pérez, J.A. Cárcel, V. Acosta, and J.A. Gallego-Juárez).
14. Characterization and Simulation of Ultraviolet Processing of Liquid Foods Using Computational Fluid Dynamics (Larry Forney, Tatiana Koutchma and Zhengcai Ye).
15. Multiphysics Modeling of Ultraviolet Disinfection of Liquid Food - Performance Evaluation using a Concept of Disinfection Efficiency (Huachen Pan).
16. Continuous Chromatographic Separation Technology – Modeling and Simulation (Filip Janakievski).
17. The Future of Multiphysics Modeling of Innovative Food Processing Technologies (Peter J. Fryer, Kai Knoerzer and Pablo Juliano).
Color plate section.