Inside Old English: Essays in Honour of Bruce Mitchell offers readers a comprehensive insight into the world of Old English.
- Brings together original essays written by prominent specialists in the field in honour of Bruce Mitchell, the eminent Oxford scholar and co-author of the bestselling A Guide to Old English, 6th edition
- Encourages readers to engage with the literary, cultural, intellectual, religious and historical contexts of Old English texts
- Explores the problems scholars face in interpreting and editing Old English texts
- Contributors provide authoritative and informative perspectives, drawing out connections between different contexts and pointing readers towards the essential secondary literature for each topic
Bruce Mitchell. (Fred C. Robinson).
Introduction. (John Walmsley).
1 Eight Notes on the Beowulf Text. (Alfred Bammesberger).
2 A Point Well-Taken: Manuscript Punctuation and Old English Poems. (Daniel Donoghue).
3 The Incomparable Wryness of Old English Poetry. (Roberta Frank).
4 Straining Words and Striving Voices: Polysemy and Ambiguity and the Importance of Context in the Disclosure of Meaning. (Antonette diPaolo Healey).
5 ""Eala, Geferan and Gode Wyrhtan"": On Interjections in Old English. (Risto Hiltunen).
6 Speaking One's Mind in The Wanderer. (Susan Irvine).
7 Wulfstan's Scandinavian Loanword Usage: An aspect of the linguistic situation in the late Old English Danelaw. (Tadao Kubouchi).
8 An Aspect of Old English Poetic Diction: The Postpositioning of Prepositions. (Michael Lapidge).
9 Issues for Editors of Anglo-Saxon Poetry in Manuscript Form. (Bernard J. Muir).
10 Language and style in two anonymous Old English Easter homilies. (Hiroshi Ogawa).
11 Latin influence on an Old English idiom: 'to wit'. (Matti Rissanen).
12 Germanic *Uargaz (O.E. Wearh) and the Finnish evidence. (Fred C. Robinson).
13 How the Leopard Got its Spots. English Grammatical.
Categories, Latin terms. (John Walmsley).
A Bibliography of Writings by Bruce Mitchell 1956-2004.
List of Editions used.
Index of Names.
Index of Old English Words and Phrases.
Index of Subjects.
- Inside Old English gives readers a comprehensive insight into the world of Old English.
- Consists of a series of original essays written by prominent specialists in the field in honour of the eminent Oxford scholar, Bruce Mitchell (co-author of the best-selling textbook, A Guide to Old English, 6th edition, Blackwell, 2001).
- Encourages readers to engage with the literary, cultural, intellectual, religious and historical contexts of Old English texts.
- Explores the problems scholars face in interpreting and editing Old English texts.
- Highlights the essential secondary literature for each topic.